Computer Type: Custom Desktop
GPU: Msi ventus rtx 2070 super 8gb
CPU: Ryzen 9 3900x
Motherboard: Asus strix x570-F gaming
RAM: corsair vengeance led 2x8gb 3200mhz docp/xmp enabled
PSU: EVGA supernova g2 650w gold
Case: Lian li pc-o11 dynamic
Operating System & Version: Windows 10 pro v.1909
GPU Drivers: Provide the version of drivers currently installed.
Chipset Drivers: 2.04.28.626
Background Applications: Discord, nzxt cam, steel series engine, steam, lightshot
Description of Original Problem: Hello, today i upgraded from my I7 6700k to the ryzen 9 with an rtx 2070 super. but im getting very bad performance out of it, worse than my old one which i dont think is right lmao
in for example over watch i used to get 150 fps plus on max settings and now i can barely push past 90. Its the same in other games like cod etc and this is my first amd processor so im kind of lost and dont know what to do. Rn definetely feels like a waste of money :/
Troubleshooting: i manually set the voltage to 1.35 in bios cause i thought 1.48 was very high lol, i also updated the chipset and bios to the latest versions

Solution
Yes, one really can't just reboot with all completely new hardware and be assured of success....

Get latest BIOS for mainboard, full fresh reinstall of OS and games, and install latest AMD Ryzen/AGESA driver.
Jun 18, 2020
Computer Type: Custom Desktop
GPU: Msi ventus rtx 2070 super 8gb
CPU: Ryzen 9 3900x
Motherboard: Asus strix x570-F gaming
RAM: corsair vengeance led 2x8gb 3200mhz docp/xmp enabled
PSU: EVGA supernova g2 650w gold
Case: Lian li pc-o11 dynamic
Operating System & Version: Windows 10 pro v.1909
GPU Drivers: Provide the version of drivers currently installed.
Chipset Drivers: 2.04.28.626
Background Applications: Discord, nzxt cam, steel series engine, steam, lightshot
Description of Original Problem: Hello, today i upgraded from my I7 6700k to the ryzen 9 with an rtx 2070 super. but im getting very bad performance out of it, worse than my old one which i dont think is right lmao
in for example over watch i used to get 150 fps plus on max settings and now i can barely push past 90. Its the same in other games like cod etc and this is my first amd processor so im kind of lost and dont know what to do. Rn definetely feels like a waste of money :/
Troubleshooting: i manually set the voltage to 1.35 in bios cause i thought 1.48 was very high lol, i also updated the chipset and bios to the latest versions

Have you updated the motherboard to the latest Bios as it states improved performance & memory compatability ?

https://www.asus.com/uk/Motherboards/ROG-Strix-X570-F-Gaming/HelpDesk_Download/

I would also like to say when I first got my X570 Motherboard & installed windows I though it was fast but as soon as I updated the Bios the Pc practically doubled in speed.

turbo.

Commendable
Jun 22, 2018

watzupken

Reputable
Mar 16, 2020
no i havnt reinstalled windows
When you switched from Intel to AMD processor, vice versa, I would strongly recommend that you do a fresh Windows installation. The drivers for the older devices can pose some performance issues, and/or, cause conflicts.

As to running the Ryzen 9 3900X,I would strongly recommend that you remove any voltage changes and let the system manage that on its own. Based on my observations, any changes to the voltage will result in a drop in performance even though the system still shows that it is reaching the same clockspeed as before you set the voltage restriction.

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
When you switched from Intel to AMD processor, vice versa, I would strongly recommend that you do a fresh Windows installation. The drivers for the older devices can pose some performance issues, and/or, cause conflicts.

As to running the Ryzen 9 3900X,I would strongly recommend that you remove any voltage changes and let the system manage that on its own. Based on my observations, any changes to the voltage will result in a drop in performance even though the system still shows that it is reaching the same clockspeed as before you set the voltage restriction.
I'm having deja vu.
That sounds a lot like the Phantom Throttling on Intel's X299 platform if the user sets the cpu input voltage too low. The performance drop isn't noticeable unless benchmarks are run.