Low Performance with GTX 960 4gb, I7 6700, 16gb RAM ?

tahta_mandal

Commendable
Dec 1, 2016
Hello everyone,

I have a low performance problem with my desktop.

First i used win10 and i get low fps at GTA5 with High and Very High setting and i get 30fps avarage. Sometimes 22fps.
Some users with same video card gets 55-60 fps.

Later i installed Win7 and get almost same performance.

Turned off Vsync, anti aliasing etc.. and fps is not improved.

Installed several drivers from Nvidia and MSI.
Used MSI gaming app both did not improve performance.

Then installed Civilization 6 and tested benchmark with normal settings and i get 20fps average.
I saw a video benchmarke 40fps with ultra settings at lower setup (i5 etc).

When i choose low setting it is not improving. Which make me a sense about it seems it is not related with video card but i am not sure...

It seems my desktop is not working %100 capacity.

My desktop configuration at the below,

Intel Skylake i7 6700 3.4
MSI gtx960 4g
MSI H170 GAMING M3 Intel H170 2133MHz DDR4
Kingston Hyperx FURY Black 8GB DDR4 2133MHz x2
240gb SSD Samsung
600W PS

What could possibly wrong ?
If you have an any idea please help me about this performance issue.

Thanks in advance.

Solution

Far Cry 3 was so good. Far Cry 4? Still good. But not on its own two feet.

Did you check your Nvidia control panel? Made sure the Power Management was set to Prefer maximum performance. I understand that the GFX settings pretty much rules out the GFX card being at fault.

Have you checked your Power...

I would check the performance settings.

Open Nvidia Control Panel. Click on Manage 3D Settings. Scroll down to Power Management Mode. Prefer Maximum Performance should be selected.
Can you play GTA V with MSI Afterburner's OSD enabled for your CPU and GPU loads(Usage) and temperatures? Also enable Core and Memory Clock, Memory Usage and RAM usage. We can then see(as long as you post a screenshot here) exactly what is happening under the hood giving us and you a clearer picture if something may be wrong. Click on the Polaroid picture icon above your text box when you reply. Provide a direct link to the picture which should end in png, bmp, jpg or the like OR just post a link to wherever it's uploaded to.

Consider this screenshot from when I was playing Far Cry 4

Far_Cry4_2016_11_08_22_14_29_543.jpg

My core clock was fluctuating from about 1215MHz to 1380 which is where my full load should be. Memory clock and the rest are operating within established parameters(Data TNG).

BadAsAl

Distinguished
How are your temperatures when you are getting the low FPS? I like to run Real Temp 3.7 in the background while playing games and then checking temps after a while to see what I get to. I have the i7-6700K and hit around 55 to 60 after a couple hours of gaming.

First of all, GTA 5 is one horribly optimised game, and even much stronger systems sometimes experience severe FPS drops.

Second, I would check CPU temps while gaming. It may be overheating and causing sudden drops in frequency to preserve stability. That's why lagging can occur. If you are using Intel's stock cooler with I7, it is highly likely that you will need a better CPU cooler.

Last but not the least, your GPU is only mid-range(ish). In modern terms, even below that. In other words, an i5 with better GPU will outperform your rig in games. You need a better graphics card if you intend to play on high and very high details, like Nvidia GTX 1060. It is your main bottleneck.

Because of your GFX card. That is only an assumption at this point. hile your CPU can handle things the 960 is a mid range card. Mid? 30FPS. HIGH 60 or more? Seems logical(Spock).

Now. A couple things.Normal? I don't think it looks normal. Take another look at my screenshot. See that 3505MHz? GDDR5. Graphics DOUBLE data rate 5. That makes an effective memory clock speed of 7000MHz. So, 3505MHz is normal. Look at your log file graph. Look to your memory. It says nothing. That's odd.

Apart from that your performance is all over the place. It bottoms out quite normally. I would interested in seeing an Asus GPU Tweak log file. That shows a text file with time stamps. It shows so much more info.

But right now my sights sit squarly on the 960. It is obviously the weakest link. You have 16GB of fairly fast RAM. An SSD is in play. Is BTA V on the SSD? If so that tosses hitching out the window and of course the 6700 isn;t slowing things down. And it has been said many times. GTA isn' t a bug free perfectly optimized game. Developers make an awesome game and release it a year early. WHY have all these Betas when they barely scratch the surface at times. Gamers...They're used to bugs and horrible ports and straight to PC releases t:no:

tahta_mandal

Commendable
Dec 1, 2016
When i change graphic settings to highest or lowest FPS is not changing. (that make me sense about it shouldnt related with GPU)

Installed FarCry4 now and result is terible. i saw 4-5 FPS during explotions scenes.

Something reduces genaral performance very bad but what ?

GPF fan is not working, temp is low. Memory usage is low.
Low FPS is not coming from lack of GPU or CPU.

But why such a bad performance ? What should i do ?

Far Cry 3 was so good. Far Cry 4? Still good. But not on its own two feet.

Did you check your Nvidia control panel? Made sure the Power Management was set to Prefer maximum performance. I understand that the GFX settings pretty much rules out the GFX card being at fault.

Have you checked your Power Options in Windows and made sure it was on High performance?

Have you tried to change your Plan settings and then clicked on change advanced settings and made sure the Maximum Processor state is on 100%?

Have you seen this https://www.reddit.com/r/Battlefield/comments/57nh6y/bf1_performance_tips_for_pc_potentially_huge_fps/page?

Bottom line? I hope the next driver update addresses issues in both BF1 and GTA V.

Solution