Question Low performance with i5-9600k

Btforeman33

Honorable
Apr 20, 2017
Hi, so I finally finished my first PC though it seems like the CPU is underperforming. Through all of the benches I've out it through, specifically multicore lags behind. In some games, for example COD Cold War, stock performance I've seen should get around 100fps though I only achieve about 35-50fps. I can add other benchmarks per request but I have a sneaking suspicion it's probably due to my motherboard.

Other info: Temperatures never exceed 60°C which rules out throttling I think. Also I've ran the PC for a couple months almost 24/7 as a server rig so I wasn't sure if that would degrade the performance at all.

Specs:
i5-9600k
Gigabyte b365m
2x8 TEAMGROUP 2666mhz
Nvidia 3060 ti
500W Thermaltake TR2
Coole Master Hyper 212 EVO

Last edited:

punkncat

Champion
Ambassador
Any time you run benchmarks make sure that every single thing that can be closed out in the background, is. Never restart and immediately begin a bench either as load in, background processes such as your AV scan and whatnot will be running.

As to the gaming, that is well more than low for those system specs. What PSU are you running? What is your cooling solution and case?

Btforeman33

Honorable
Apr 20, 2017
Any time you run benchmarks make sure that every single thing that can be closed out in the background, is. Never restart and immediately begin a bench either as load in, background processes such as your AV scan and whatnot will be running.

As to the gaming, that is well more than low for those system specs. What PSU are you running? What is your cooling solution and case?
Hi, I do go in the background and stop every program that takes up any CPU, and I added my cooling and PSU in the OP. Case is a MUSETEX MicroATX

punkncat

Champion
Ambassador
@Btforeman33 , your case appears to have adequate airflow for the components. By the look the front really is mesh so air comes in from those front fans?

A Hyper 212 is also adequate for an i5. I don't expect you are having temperature problems.
It appears that Nvidia is recommending a 650W PSU for the 3060ti. I think that is a bit overkill, but there is a lot of distance between a 500W and 650W. In my own system I am using a 600W gold rated for a 3070, which is low by recommends, but as far as actual system draw is doing fine with no overclocking.

Before you run benchmarks go close out any programs running that you don't need to have on at that moment, such as the 'extra' items that tend to be in the taskbar overflow. If you are on W10 you can type in "Background Apps" and can choose to turn a lot of that off from running automatically.

An easy test for background processes is to run User Benchmark. It will show your background processes and give statistics on what it defines as the performance of your components. I wouldn't take it as 'bible', but it is helpful.

Go here: Home - UserBenchmark
Run that and post the link offered afterward so we can get an idea of what is going on.

Reactions: Roland Of Gilead

Btforeman33

Honorable
Apr 20, 2017
@Btforeman33 , your case appears to have adequate airflow for the components. By the look the front really is mesh so air comes in from those front fans?

A Hyper 212 is also adequate for an i5. I don't expect you are having temperature problems.
It appears that Nvidia is recommending a 650W PSU for the 3060ti. I think that is a bit overkill, but there is a lot of distance between a 500W and 650W. In my own system I am using a 600W gold rated for a 3070, which is low by recommends, but as far as actual system draw is doing fine with no overclocking.

Before you run benchmarks go close out any programs running that you don't need to have on at that moment, such as the 'extra' items that tend to be in the taskbar overflow. If you are on W10 you can type in "Background Apps" and can choose to turn a lot of that off from running automatically.

An easy test for background processes is to run User Benchmark. It will show your background processes and give statistics on what it defines as the performance of your components. I wouldn't take it as 'bible', but it is helpful.

Run that and post the link offered afterward so we can get an idea of what is going on.
I won't be home until about 4 hours from now so I should be able to bench and post then. Though I have ran Userbenchmark once and it showed both my RAM and CPU underperforming but I wrote off the RAM as something that was probably a fluke.

yeah I think this hit the nail on the head. Office PC PSU in a gaming system. Really need to get a QUALITY PSU

punkncat

Champion
Ambassador
I won't be home until about 4 hours from now so I should be able to bench and post then. Though I have ran Userbenchmark once and it showed both my RAM and CPU underperforming but I wrote off the RAM as something that was probably a fluke.

When you open your PC and load in, go to Task Manager/Performance/Memory and see what speed it's running at. You may need to enable XMP for it to run at the 2666. Intel isn't impacted as hard as AMD for slow RAM, but in this case you want to squeeze all you can out of the components.

Hello all, so I finally got home to bench everything.
Cinebench r23: 6043 pts on multi, 1193 on single

Gigabyte B365M DS3H Performance Results - UserBenchmark

Both benches were ran with the realtime priority set
Free up another 30/40GB of space on the OS disk.

Do you have the ram in the proper slots for dual channel?

Run ubm like this.

Reboot.
Wait a few mins.
Run ubm with the browser closed.
Post a link to the results.

Btforeman33

Honorable
Apr 20, 2017
Eh won’t matter without the Gpu also being stressed. Run cinebench and a Gpu stress test together. Your psu is garbage and needs replaced, last time I’m gonna say it so do as you like.
Would the CPU not perform fine with the GPU not being stressed? Without full power draw I would assume it would be able to take all the power it needs. Also, I did take a glance at a couple power supply's, would the Corsair CX650M work better?

Hello all, so I finally got home to bench everything.
Cinebench r23: 6043 pts on multi, 1193 on single

Both benches were ran with the realtime priority set
Your ram is at the correct speed but significantly underperforming according to UBM. This suggests it may be running in single channel and not dual channel. Is the ram in the correct slots per motherboard instructions for running 2 dimms, usually A2 & B2? If you download cpu-z and check under the memory tab you should see single or dual under channels#

Btforeman33

Honorable
Apr 20, 2017
Your ram is at the correct speed but significantly underperforming according to UBM. This suggests it may be running in single channel and not dual channel. Is the ram in the correct slots per motherboard instructions for running 2 dimms, usually A2 & B2? If you download cpu-z and check under the memory tab you should see single or dual under channels#
Turns out it actually is in single memory channel mode for some reason, I could've swore I installed them in the proper sockets when I get back home ~9pm EST

Btforeman33

Honorable
Apr 20, 2017
Hello all, apologies for long response time as I have work and school I attend all day and don't have much time to work on my computer physically.

So after fixing the issue with the memory not being in dual channel mode, it massively added performance to my game which it was unnecessarily struggling with, though the CPU performance itself on benches aren't massively improved.

Cinebench multi-core: 6036 pts

Hello all, apologies for long response time as I have work and school I attend all day and don't have much time to work on my computer physically.

So after fixing the issue with the memory not being in dual channel mode, it massively added performance to my game which it was unnecessarily struggling with, though the CPU performance itself on benches aren't massively improved.

Look in the power plan settings and see if you have a high performance option.

Clean off another 30GB from the OS disk.

Run ubm and post a link.

Your cpu results will be compared to results from people who overclock their 9600k. I would expect a non overclocked cpu to return below average results.