Question Low Performance with really good PC

Jan 18, 2020
Hello! I've been having problems such as low frames/stuttering with my PC for so long.

I've replaced every single part of my PC in order to find where the problem is, but the problems keep on happening.

My Specs:

EVGA 2080ti
ASUS z390-A PRIME
G.SKILL TridentZ 16GB 3200
465GB Samsung SSD 970 EVO Plus 500GB
I9-9900k

-I reinstalled Windows 10 multiple times.
-Optimized Windows 10 (
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wkJBDEDDS5o&t=1777s
)
-Debloated Windows 10
-Unistalled GPU drivers with DDU and installed new ones.
-XMP activated in BIOS
-Good Temperatures

I've tried everything I could, I even sent my 2080ti back to EVGA to get a replacement, got my replacement yesterday and realized it wasn't the GPU's fault.

An example of low performance in my PC is when I play Modern Warfare.

In this certain map (Safehouse) I get low frames, even with ALL my graphics set on Low/Off. The max frames I get are around like 160-70 and the lowest are 80-90.

In this video you can see that this person has the same CPU and GPU and gets more than 300 frames in the same maps and with the same settings as mine. (
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dw52RIIAyHU&t=82s
)

Here's a screenshot of my Speccy (Idle): https://prnt.sc/qplwwc

Jan 18, 2020
My Windows is in the SSD (465GB Samsung SSD 970 EVO Plus), and my games are in my HDD (1tb WD) (I tried the game in my SSD, there's no improvement whatsoever)

Dcopymope

Prominent
BANNED
Aug 13, 2018
My Windows is in the SSD (465GB Samsung SSD 970 EVO Plus), and my games are in my HDD (1tb WD) (I tried the game in my SSD, there's no improvement whatsoever)

I would have still kept the games on your SSD. Its not helping you if your applications are on a different storage device than your operating system. What is the average frames per second with graphics set to high? Is it stuttering? Are you playing it in 4K?

Jan 18, 2020
Im using 1920x1080.

Also something else I forgot to add.

In Fortnite, whenever there's somebody near me or when I'm fighting/placing builds the game stutters.

Another example is when I hit "ready" in MW to queue for a game the game freezes for like half a sec

Here's a screenshot of High Settings in MW https://prnt.sc/qpmg11

Dcopymope

Prominent
BANNED
Aug 13, 2018
Not really, I don't have a G-Sync monitor

You should still be able to use Nvidia's 'Fast Sync' feature with its software. Its the equivalent of AMD's 'Enhanced Sync' that can be used with any monitor. I'm assuming v-sync will have to be enabled in-game for it to work just like enhanced sync. You can also check your drive to see when it last defragged. Just right click on your local disk drive, go to 'tools' and then click 'optimize'. You can put it on a schedule, but I don't trust it. There may be programs running in the background slowing things down, so just check each one in your task manager.

I would have still kept the games on your SSD. Its not helping you if your applications are on a different storage device than your operating system. What is the average frames per second with graphics set to high? Is it stuttering? Are you playing it in 4K?
I will say I have absolutely zero, zip, no problems whatsoever with my games on different drives than the OS. I have my games on 3 different drives on my PC.

Last edited:
Reactions: Phaaze88

Dcopymope

Prominent
BANNED
Aug 13, 2018
I will say I have absolutely zero, zip, no problems whatsoever with my games on different drives than the OD. I have my games on 3 different drives on my PC.

I'm sure you aren't having problems, but I am certain you will get faster load times if you install your games where your O.S is installed. If you bought an SSD for performance reasons, you wasted your money, because its not actually being utilized as intended.

Dcopymope

Prominent
BANNED
Aug 13, 2018
No, how do you do it?

I think I head before that defragging SSD's can damage them

Not true, I defrag mine every day just to be sure. Just right click on the drive, click on 'properties', go to 'tools', and then click the 'optimize' button. You can also run click on the button above it (the 'check' button') which checks your drive for any corrupted files, but I doubt that's your problem.

No, how do you do it?

I think I head before that defragging SSD's can damage them

Don't defrag your SSD. Do not listen to this person.

So, no, you should not defrag an SSD. And performing one will actually reduce the life of your drive. ... The TRIM command is supported by the latest SSDs and will optimize the hard drive so that it reduces the number of writes/deletions and therefore extends the life of your SSD significantly.

Because of the efficient way in which SSD technology functions, defragmentation to improve performance is not actually required

Reactions: drivinfast247

WildCard999

Titan
Don't defrag the SSD(s) as that can shorten the lifespan of the drive. You can do the trim in the optimize part but it's not needed and Windows does it automatically.

I doubt this issue has to do with the drives so lets move on.

The next steps I'd take is updating the motherboard BIOS and the drivers for it such as the Chipset. Some updates have requirements so make sure you follow the directions as to not brick the motherboard.

Next, while gaming if the problem persists I would monitor the CPU, RAM & GPU usage and see if there are spikes that could affect your gaming. You also noted that your temps were good but what were they while you were gaming?

WildCard999

Titan
As a side note I was watching (part) of your optimize video quick and some of that advice is pretty poor as it does advise to defrag the drives... Last resort would be to do a clean installation of Windows and drivers and post doing so avoid those "optimize" videos as they may not account for newer Windows updates and such.

Jan 18, 2020
My temps are pretty good while playing/being idle, I also updated my BIOS today.

There's something else I found in ASUS Driver page, It's called MeUpdateTool (Firmware)

Should I install that?

Dcopymope

Prominent
BANNED
Aug 13, 2018
@adridcs

To be fair, the PC build of the guy in that video isn't exactly the same as yours, so it really doesn't count. There is a possibility that a program is hogging up space in the background. I would check both your task manager and the actual 'services' tab that shows what is being run by the operating system itself. These are services that don't show up in the task manager. Just type 'services' in the search bar, and click on the app. Don't disable or stop anything unless you know what you are dealing with, so you don't break your PC.