Low-Power Gaming: AMD's E-350 Vs. Intel Atom D525 And Ion 2

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

masteren

Distinguished
Mar 27, 2011
[citation][nom]jimmysmitty[/nom]Well there are specs. The PS3 uses a modified (by that I mean weaker) 7900GTX while the 360 has a custom built ATI R500 chip that is above the X1950 in terms of performance. And the 7900GTX was in no way better than a X1950. A 8800 was but not a 7900GTX,[/citation]

From the info that i can find the Xenos is x1950 GT-ish.
The RSX shares components with Geforce 7800.
But when I see the performance (spec-sheet wise + the theoretical performance) they seem pretty comparable. For instance, their maximum pixel fillrate is approx. 4 gigapixels per second.

actionjksn

Distinguished
Jan 6, 2010
[citation][nom]yyrkoon[/nom]Unfortunately, power readings as such would be inaccurate. You can not just take some arbitrary figures from some other source, and say "this is how much power I will use while playing WoW" or whatever.There are many factors when figuring for power consumption. One of the biggest factors often overlooked is the power supply. Someone, may have the exact same system setup, with only a different power supply, and there can be a huge power consumption difference between the two. Especially when comparing low power (electricity ) systems such as these. Even the actual voltage being transported throughout your home can make a difference in power consumption ( if there is a difference ).So yes, it may be impossible to exactly duplicate one persons observations in some, or all situations. But the more complete the test results we are given, the more complete picture we all get. Otherwise, we end up with a difference similar to the difference between Astrology, and Astronomy. In case I need to point it out. One is science as we know it today. Where the other is not. e.g. factual vs fiction.[/citation]
I don't believe Astronomy is fiction, and I know you're not talking about astrology. And don't argue with me about it because I'm a Taurus, you know how stubborn we all are!

youssef 2010

Distinguished
Jan 1, 2009
This proves that AMD is way better than Intel in this segment and also that the videos claiming AMD's superiority are true.

IMHO, AMD still speaks value more than Intel, at least they're not switching sockets as much.

kinggraves

Distinguished
May 14, 2010
The review doesn't exactly bring out the full power of Brazos though. The chipset supports USB 3.0 and SATA 3. I do sort of doubt that the controllers usually used for netbooks would be able to fully utilize an SSD like the Vertex 3 and there aren't a lot of netbooks/notebooks actually putting USB 3.0 ports in yet, but the fact it's even possible is an extra point for AMD even if it was at equal power consumption/performance.

There is a lot of potential. If the industry actually supports them and they put out some more affordable products, AMD could have the low end market won for awhile.

G

I have the asus 1215n with atom d525 and Ion 2:

1.) I can play Left 4 dead 2 at 1280x768 with all options in high enabled.
2.) I can play street fighter IV at 1280x768 all options in high enabled.
3.) I can play Borderlands at 1280x768 all options in high enabled.

Of course, fluid games without decreases of fps.

This comparative is not just/real, my netbook with d525 and Ion 2 it does not look like in anything...

A example(i recorded the video):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zSUOUgffk0c

cleeve

Illustrious
[citation][nom]ooki2[/nom]I have the asus 1215n with atom d525 and Ion 2:1.) I can play Left 4 dead 2 at 1280x768 with all options in high enabled.2.) I can play street fighter IV at 1280x768 all options in high enabled.3.) I can play Borderlands at 1280x768 all options in high enabled.[/citation]

You say you're not getting decreases in FPS, but you're not measuring it?

I'd like to see the video of Left 4 Dead 2 and Borderlands, too. Those won't be as smooth methinks. I suspect I wouldn't agree with your definition of 'smooth'.

G

Ok, I recorded for You the video few minutes ago:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t71hOldnzCQ

Pushing "use recommended settings" system autoconfigures it performance.

1280x768
Anti Aliasing mode: 2xsAA
Filtering mode: Anisotropic 4x
Vertical sync: Enabled (double buffered)
Multicore rendering: Enabled
Shader detail: Very High
Effect detail: High
Model/Texture detail: High
Paged pool memory: High

SEEMS THAT GAME NOT RUN SMOOTH?!There's 0 times that the rate of fps decreases, totally fluid game with ALL OPTIONS enabled to the max but Tom's hardware comparative says that is not totally playable with the minimum settings...WHAT KIND of review is This????A joke??

P.D: I have been forced to play with gamepad and I don't know the buttom configuration that's the cause of my no hability playing.
P.D.2: Someone plays the L4D2 of xbox360?? the fps gets down when horde appears and of course with this configuration has better graphics.

G

What a nonsense comparative...completely false.

Asus 1215n with ION2/d525 has a score of 2700 in 3dmark06
Asus 1215b with e350/hd6310 has a score of 2240 in 3dmark06

That's more than 18% better performance for the couple ION2/d525.

Can somebody explain that?

ursake91

Distinguished
Sep 29, 2011
dude what r u talkign about the ps3 has 9 cells 8 spu and a pau r u mad or something dont even try compare an ps3 with a pc , because the ps3 is a lot more faster on processing games , and by the way the ps3 games r on more stress on the cells not on the card , the card r same on almoust every ps3 console and talking about x360 faster than ps3 (x360 has only 3 cells with 3,2ghz xenon type not special arhitecture like ps3) - wifi doesnt ever compare with either one of them - cause is nintendo - mario tipe , the graphics on wifi is crazily bad , if you whant a wii waith for the wii u that one will be a crazy console.( CPU: PowerPC-based "Broadway" processor, made with a 90 nm SOI CMOS process, reportedly† clocked at 729 MHz[120]
GPU: ATI "Hollywood" GPU made with a 90 nm CMOS process,[121] reportedly† clocked at 243 MHz[120]
- this is the last wii available cpus - very week with very low memory .)
The wii 2 will be crazy .
and speaking about e350 - r u guys nuts the zacate apu is a lot more stronger than the atom cpu , and think about this the experience on vision is a lot more realistic when the gpu is 6xxx series think about that before you try buy an atom. almoust double

G

I got a few laptops as gifts with the e-350/6310 and am really impressed with how they run.
Surprisingly some games were playable, though the best I could get from Skyrim was "almost playable."
League of Legends ran fine.

It's an interesting article, this one. While it seems pointless to consider gaming on such devices, these machines are frustratingly "almost-capable" for games. Shame they don't let them all clock higher as a standard setting for AC power settings, because it's certainly the CPU holding things back. A 6310 in a netbook level machine is not bad at all. Video runs great on it.

G

Sorry to bust your bubble but Lord of the Rings Online is not playable with the E350 when you group in instances. I have a Toshiba with that identical processor and integrated graphics set. I have 3gb RAM. I ran a 6 man instance the other day with my guild. This instance has one mob inside the whole instance. It's a turtle with 600,000 health. My computer was so far behind that they killed it 2 minutes before it died on my computer. I was talking to them on vent when they killed it and they couldn't believe it took so long to show dead for me. I would activate a skill and it would take 30 to 60 seconds for that skill to go off. They could hear their characters fighting on my computer through vent while they were discussing the loot that had dropped. I had all graphics settings turned as low as they would go and no background programs running except vent. I agree it works ok solo but when in instances with a fellowship it is unplayable.

G

I'd like to thank you for this comparison test. I own a E-350 w/ an HD 6310 video card w/ 4GB of ram and I was wondering how it would fare in the whole gaming side of things. Though I didn't expect much from it I certainly didn't expect it to do that well.

Status
Not open for further replies.