Low power graphics card help/advice

SgeordieN

Distinguished
Nov 18, 2011
Hello, I need some advice/help. I need to replace my graphics card as it has stopped working and I'm currently running off an integrated x1200, it was a radeon x1650 pro PCIe I was using My problem is that my psu is 350 watt which I completely understand limits my options considerably, I dont know what brand it is other than it was part of a Fujitsu Siemens scaleo p desktop which I have upgraded different components on since purchasing.

The spec is fairly low but here it is;

AMD Athlon 64 dual core 6000+
giga-byte ga-ma69vm-s2 motherboard
3gb ram
1x DVD Rom
1x DVD rw
2x HDD
22" Samsung Syncmaster 2232BW monitor

I realise not all that info may be required there it is anyway.

My requirements are to mainly edit video taken from my camcorders one of which only produces HD but currently 75% of what I edit is standard def. I also play games occasionally but I'm certainly not a hard core gamer just the odd COD 2 and 4 online multiplayer to get shot to bits for a while by those that can play properly!! Highest setting graphics aren't important by the way.

I have a pretty low budget and I'm even considering something second hand if needed, I know many people will say upgrade the psu but I don't want to spend money on that just now I'd rather get the best possible card for my current set up. The x1650 pro did all I needed it to but I'm guessing there are more efficient and more powerful cards available now. One last thing, I'd prefer something that is powered by my PCIe slot/mobo as not sure what to do when it comes to connecting to power supply as many decent cards require you to do.

Many thanks in advance for taking time to help.

Steve.

SgeordieN

Distinguished
Nov 18, 2011
Thanks for that, lower end cards, such as the x1650 I had you just plug into the PCIe slot and there's no need for extra cables etc. that's what I was meaning, do you know if the 5570 can be used in this way. Cheers.

For crossfire you must ahve 2 pci-e slots and he only has one. For extra powercables from the psu it must be powerfull enough so a 350 probably won't have those.

Also it's an pci-e 1.0 mobo i think ( not sure ) and then a 2.1 card can give problems otherwise i would have adviced a hd 6670.

Think about a gt 240 maybe. Runs on a 1.0 mobo and requires only a 300W psu.

As far as games go, HD4650 < HD4670 < GT240 < HD5570 < HD5670 < HD6670 in order of performance; all will run on your PSU, getting all of their power through the PCIE slot.
Actually, your video-focused (no pun intended) needs would likely be very well served by a HD6450. As a gaming card, it's only about as strong as a HD4650, but both of those are four tiers higher than what you had. I know you want to be cheap, but since you do play some games, I'd suggest a HD6570 if you can afford it.

SgeordieN

Distinguished
Nov 18, 2011

Great info thanks.

The 6670 is looking favorite so far even though its way over budget!! I've noticed that the DDR5 is quite a bit more money than the DDR3 is it worth the extra?? Also is there a big difference in performance between the 6670 and the 6570??

Thanks again
Steve

SgeordieN

Distinguished
Nov 18, 2011

TBH I dont think it does, I'm using Sony Vegas Pro 9 and as far as I know ver. 10 and above support CUDA, could be wrong mind??

I'm not familiar with CUDA though but I'm guessing that its a big plus for editing with a Nvidia card...?

Yes, only nVidia cards support CUDA. A GT240 (if you can find one) would be a good choice then. It isn't as powerful in games as a HD5670, but if that's secondary to CUDA, it will be fine. Or, upgrade your PSU also to be able to run a GTX460 or GTX550Ti.

SgeordieN

Distinguished
Nov 18, 2011
Hi, I think I'm going to go with the HD 6670, however, I've tried searching for the answer to this but no luck so far, there are a lot of variations of this card from different brands, is there a particular one to go for (asus, sapphire etc) or are they all pretty much the same?? many thanks.

SgeordieN

Distinguished
Nov 18, 2011
Haven't decided yet probs Amazon from what I've seen so far. Sapphire have an ultimate edition with heat sink and no fan and asus have a dust proof fan, dont suppose there'll be much difference??

SgeordieN

Distinguished
Nov 18, 2011

SgeordieN

Distinguished
Nov 18, 2011
Well thats that, ordered Sapphire hd 6670 1gb ddr5 £69 twice as much as initially expected but hey ho!!

Many thanks for everyones help I still would've been scratching my head without it, but in 3 days time I will be back to getting shot to bits in COD!