News Low-Power Intel 13th Gen T Series CPUs Finally Hit Market

BillyBuerger

Reputable
Jan 12, 2021
The T series CPUs always sounded good to me from a low power (and therefore low noise) system. But the problem is that there never really seemed to be anything special about these. They seem to be just the same CPU but with lower clock/power settings. You can get the same results by lowering the clocks/power of a normal CPU. Definitely not worth the premium. Now, if on the other hand these were binned CPUs that are actually able to run at lower voltages and therefore lower power at similar clock speeds, then that might be worth it. But that would also likely make them good overclockers so would end up binned in the higher performance CPUs. So it seems they're mostly just price gouging people for nothing.

Would be interesting to see a T, normal and K CPU all set to the same voltage/power settings to see if there is really any difference between them. But my guess would be very little.

D

Deleted member 489584

I couldn't find a T model 12th gen offered at retail, so I bought a used working i5-12600T to put in my dedicated server I leave on 24/7 Plex, Gaming, etc. The lower idle wattage will more than pay for itself over the years, and it still has plenty of horsepower if needed for more involved tasks. Just my $0.02 on use case for something like these models.

BillyBuerger

Reputable
Jan 12, 2021
I couldn't find a T model 12th gen offered at retail, so I bought a used working i5-12600T to put in my dedicated server I leave on 24/7 Plex, Gaming, etc. The lower idle wattage will more than pay for itself over the years, and it still has plenty of horsepower if needed for more involved tasks. Just my $0.02 on use case for something like these models.

Does it idle any lower? If so, then that could actually make it worth something. But the standard models already can idle very low and from what I recall, the T models don't really do anything to change that. They just have the lower max power.