Low Power Intel CPUs

Seems to me, the Intel CPU labelled as low powered are just identical version of the regular CPU BUT with their max running frequency capped.

If I don't push my box often and am mostly running near idle speed, seems like a low power cpu doesn't do me any good as far as electricity saving or heat dissipation. Am I right or am missing something in translation?

Neutr1n0

Reputable
Jan 14, 2015
Low power cpu, like the ones in laptops etc, will also have lower voltage applied resulting in lower power usage, but because recent cpus also dynamically adjust multiplier and voltage they have low idle power usage anyway. Difference will be more under load. Only relevant for devices running on battery. No reason to buy low power cpu for desktop pc.

Nope that's about it. Cpu's idling don't consume a ton of power, mostly for load situations. The 's' and 't' versions are downclocked to reduce power consumption while under load. The 4690 is 3.5ghz stock base and the 4690s drops to 3.2 while the 4690t drops to 2.5ghz with a turbo of 3.5ghz.