[SOLVED] low power video card for old Dimension E520

Aug 21, 2019
Hello everyone,
I just signed up on Tom's Hardware, hope you can help me with a question. I'm using an old Dell Dimension E520, which works well enough for me with RAM maxed out at 8GB. But 256MB is taken by the onboard video, and if I can free up a tiny bit more RAM then all the better. I thought of getting a dedicated video card but from what I know, the stock power supply can get overtaxed by quite a few video cards. If I don't need much performance (as long as it at least matches the onboard video), what low-power choices do I have (hopefully available on eBay at a nominal price)?

Thanks again,
T.

Solution
Sort agree, even a low end card like a GT 1030 will cost as much as the computer is worth. I cant find what PSU it has, most likely something like a 250-350 watt, which the GT1030 draws around 50wat peak so you might be ok.

But again I wouldn't recommend it, I would save up and either buy a newer used all in one (something with a 3rd gen Intel i5 or i7) or look at building something like a Ryzen 3200G or 3400G (vega graphics are decent for what they are) setup
Sort agree, even a low end card like a GT 1030 will cost as much as the computer is worth. I cant find what PSU it has, most likely something like a 250-350 watt, which the GT1030 draws around 50wat peak so you might be ok.

But again I wouldn't recommend it, I would save up and either buy a newer used all in one (something with a 3rd gen Intel i5 or i7) or look at building something like a Ryzen 3200G or 3400G (vega graphics are decent for what they are) setup

Solution

lynx1021

Distinguished
If you get that card you need a DMS-59 to VGA or DVI adapter. I have an old dell server SC430 with Windows 7 and I had a X1300 and had issues, now I have a Dell RadeonHD6350 with 512 Memory that works fine for browsing, It has the DMS-59 adapter on it. like this one https://www.ebay.com/itm/WIN-7-8-10...602908?hash=item3d8ffb191c:g:1qMAAOSwupBcYqea
There are some 1GB cards that will work but I will have to find them again. You have to use the Dell drivers for best results.