Question Low power video cards

jtelep

Distinguished
Sep 10, 2008
Has anyone ever heard of motherboards that will only recognize graphics cards that do not require external power? I’ve never heard of this but I am currently using a BioStar A785GE AMD mainboard that has an onboard Radeon 4200 HD with an AMD Athlon X2 3800+ and no matter what card I try, if it requires any external power, the board will not recognize it but as soon as I switch to a low power card it works fine.

Thanks!

Has anyone ever heard of motherboards that will only recognize graphics cards that do not require external power? I’ve never heard of this but I am currently using a BioStar A785GE AMD mainboard that has an onboard Radeon 4200 HD with an AMD Athlon X2 3800+ and no matter what card I try, if it requires any external power, the board will not recognize it but as soon as I switch to a low power card it works fine.

Thanks!
If a GPU has external power connector you must use it. Typical PCIe port can provide only up to 75W that's why higher powered GPUs need added power.

jtelep

Distinguished
Sep 10, 2008
If a GPU has external power connector you must use it. Typical PCIe port can provide only up to 75W that's why higher powered GPUs need added power.
Right, what I'm saying is that when I plug in the external power to the card via the PSU it is still not recognized however if I use a card that does not require external power it works fine.

TRENDING THREADS