Low profile gaphics cards.

Hi was just wondering about the availability of low profile cards.
My daughter in law has been gifted one of those flat dells and i was wondering what i can get to put in it to replace the 64meg onboard.
Thanks for any help/advice
Mactronix

trencin

Distinguished
May 12, 2006
that 1650 looks like the best choice. didnt know that they were that cheap now. guess everyone is goin for those 8800's and 9600's

Thanks a lot for the replies guys im in the UK and some of what was linked dosent seem to be available over here. Guess i should have said (sorry)
As i said she was gifted it, I have added bits here and there it has a 2.4 gig CPU and i put a DVD combo RW drive in it.
Im not expecting much from it but was hoping it would work as a HTPC type machine. Not fully fledged just DVD playback and TV. It games ok for what little she does but there are some things that she wants to play that will need a modest graphics card for.
Mactronix

pauldh

Illustrious
AGP or PCI-e? ANyway, it would seem a 128-bit X1650 pro is about as good as you will find. Try to avoid 64-bit card's if you can help it.

Otherwise in PCI-e an 8400GS is possibly an OK choice. Don't expect too much. Just make sure to get one that comes with the low profile bracket included.

kpo6969

Distinguished
May 6, 2007

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814122037

Look for Leadtek where your are, I've seen them in UK but don't remember where. I was surprised to see the low-profile at the Egg.

Tough choice. The 1650 looks like the best bet. You probably wont be playing games on that PC (may be some low end stuff. ie. flash based, or Runescape,etc.)You could also OC the 8400GS if you prefer it, quite well if you care to know.