Low profile options, gtx 1050 on pcieX4 or single slot gt 1030 on pciex16?

sirpatalot

Commendable
Jun 17, 2016
Hi folks, just got a SFF Dell machine and looking to add a graphics card.

Now the issue with the case is that there is only room for low profile single slot card on the pcieX16. Bit of research suggests very few options for this layout, best of which is potentially the GT 1030 2GB DDDR5 (there is a low profile single slot version)

From a different forum though I have seen the pcieX4 slot on my machine is open ended, meaning you could put a normal sized card in it. The pciex4 slot has a larger clearance in my case meaning I could get a low profile double slot card in it albeit with a drop in performance due to using the pcieX4.

So my question is, how much of a performance drop is there when using pcieX4.

For example, what would win, a GTX1030 4gb (obvs higher spec than 1030 2GB) in the pcieX4

or

the gt 1030 2gb with no drop in performance in the pciex16?

would it be closer if it was the 1050 2GB in the pciex4?

Solution
The performance hit on an x4 slot should be relatively minor. Keep in mind that the PCI-e generation will also affect the slot's bandwidth. PCI-e 2.x offers double the bandwidth of PCI-e 1.x, and PCI-e 3.x offers double the bandwidth again. So, if it's a PCI-e 3.0 x4 slot, it should offer about the same bandwidth as a PCI-e 2.0 x8 slot, or a PCI-e 1.0 x16 slot.

In this test, you can see that a PCI-e 2.0 x4 slot only caused about an 8% performance hit on average with a higher-end graphics card at 1080p, and only around a 3-5% hit when using a 3.0 x4 slot at that resolution...

https://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/AMD/R9_Fury_X_PCI-Express_Scaling/18.html

A lower-end card like a GTX 1050 will likely also have lower maximum bandwidth...

maxalge

Champion
Ambassador

get the 1050

buy a pcie riser

put the card wherever it fits in your case and hook it up to the x16 slot

The performance hit on an x4 slot should be relatively minor. Keep in mind that the PCI-e generation will also affect the slot's bandwidth. PCI-e 2.x offers double the bandwidth of PCI-e 1.x, and PCI-e 3.x offers double the bandwidth again. So, if it's a PCI-e 3.0 x4 slot, it should offer about the same bandwidth as a PCI-e 2.0 x8 slot, or a PCI-e 1.0 x16 slot.

In this test, you can see that a PCI-e 2.0 x4 slot only caused about an 8% performance hit on average with a higher-end graphics card at 1080p, and only around a 3-5% hit when using a 3.0 x4 slot at that resolution...

https://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/AMD/R9_Fury_X_PCI-Express_Scaling/18.html

A lower-end card like a GTX 1050 will likely also have lower maximum bandwidth needs as well, and won't be rendering as many frames-per-second as a high-end card like that, so there will likely be even less of a performance hit compared to that Fury X. Just make sure that the slot is in fact an x4 slot, and not an x1 slot, since that would cause a more substantial performance hit.

There will be a small impact on performance with a PCI-e 3.0 x4 slot, but it will probably be less than 5% in most cases. Considering that the GTX 1050 is significantly faster than a GT 1030, it should still perform much faster than that card on an x16 slot.

Solution