Low RAM performance on Vista Experience meter.

rfm767

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2009
Hello guys:

I recently bought a new pc and installed windows Vista 64 Extreme. The thing is when i run the "Windows Experience Index" performance meter, it marks all items maxed (5.9) except the memory, which marks 4.8. That is quite low i think and could be upgraded with a thing or two that i may modify on a setting perhaps?

This are my specs:

CPU: Core 2 Quad Q6600
M/B: Zotac Geforce 9300
GPU: Geforce 9800 GT 550/DDR3
H/D: 320 gb SATA
Memory: 3 x Kingston modules (DDR2 2GB 667Mhz PC5300 box) (total of 6 gb ram)

I'm thinking it may be something i should change in the BIOS regarding the memory freq or something alike, but i'm far away from being an expert in this and it may as well be normal. Any advice is kindly appreciated.

Thanks!

rfm767

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2009
Hmm ok, i installed aother module of teh same ram for a total of 8gb, and still got the same 4.8 performance...must be something else i think.

What does CPU-Z show for memory (Memory and SPD tabs)? Don't expect the memory performance you'd get with an Intel chipset and faster memory, but it should perform a bit better than an old P4 2.8 with DDR PC3200 memory which also is 4.8.

merlinbadman

Distinguished
Jul 19, 2007
You should be getting better than that, PC at work (Core 2 Duo E6750, 2GB 2GB 667Mhz PC5300) gets 5.9 for memory on the Vista Experience Index, the only thing its does get top marks for.

Memory timings = 5-5-5-15 2T

Run SANDRA benchmarking suite and see what you get for your memory. That way you have a more accurate way of measuring the chages you do to your ram.

The memory rating is not a measure of RAM speed, it's a measure of throughput for the whole subsection. So Front Side Buss speeds are also involved.

Since it looks at whole subsections, rather than the speeds of individual components, I like it for the kind of 'Holistic' view it can give. But you should be strongly advised that the "Windows Experience Index" is meant as a general rating, and shouldn't be considered to be any kind of hard and fast benchmark of your computer.

My advice is not to worry about it.

rfm767

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2009
Ok heres the CPU-z results, and thanks for all the advices..this is very weird.

c099a524375316

CPU-Z shows nothing wrong (correct memory speed and timings for all modules, dual channel mode is used, etc.) It looks like the only reason for the less than stellar Vista memory performance index is the memory controller itself. It shouldn't impact total system performance by more than a few percents. You probably didn't buy that motherboard for it's performance, but becasue it met your other criteria. What's the purpose of that PC with that motherboard and a Q6600?

rfm767

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2009
Ohh i see, which motherboard would you recommend to improve this? mine is still in warranty so i might as well change it. I'm not very into hardware so i think i might have gone wrong w the motherboard (this is a gaming pc primarily). Thanks for your help.

rfm767

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2009
The memory is new, by the way, you think "Intel IX38 QuadGT Pci-E A/L (775)" motherboard should do the trick? my store doesnt have the asus one

That's an Abit motherboard with an Intel X38 chipset. It might be good, but quite a bit more expensive than the Asus or Gigabyte motherboards that I suggested. You're sort of going from one end of the spectrum to the other. What else do they sell? Only Zotac and Abit?

If I were you I'd get DDR2 800 Mhz memory that requires 1.8-1.9V. People buy DDR2 533 Mhz memory only for old systems that just won't work with DDR2 800 Mhz memory. Does your store sell good DDR2 memory?

rfm767

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2009
Yes, they sell Kingtson DDR2 2GB 800Mhz PC6400 box modules, i think ill go with those. Anyway, thanks alot for your help ghis, you've been very helpful, i got a much clearer picture right now about the whole thing ;) , ill post again hopefully soon when i've made the changes! cheers

rfm767

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2009
Got the new Intel IX38 QuadGT Pci-E A/L (775), score went from 4.7 to 5.5 with the same crappy memory modules, m/b made great difference, next step will be ddr2 800 Mhz. But this is good already, Thanks alot.

runmymouth

Distinguished
Jan 13, 2009
why buy at a local store? you should have bought from new egg so you can get the components you want without as much markup. Just my $.02.

TRENDING THREADS