Low recording volume on SB Audigy 2 ZS

drdavid

Distinguished
Dec 3, 2005
I have a brand new Dell computer with an SB Audigy 2 ZS soundcard. It has a real problem with recording sound through a microphone. Eveb with the mic settings tunred up and boosted, I have to scream to hear a whisper. The mic works fine on every other computer including those with simple onboard sound. Can anyone advise?

Alternatively can anyone recommend an external Firewire or USB Soundcard which would allow me to record voice?

uncle_ben

Distinguished
Nov 16, 2005
If mic works fine that must be either settings or the card that is causing problem. If you open up the mixer there are sliders for playback and one slider for recording source. 1)Make sure you picked mic for this recording-source-slider and 2) moved it all the way up. Below playback slider there is mute box - make sure it is not checked
4) Also: make sure mic is in mic in not in line input, inputs are nor very well marked and it is easy to confuse these two

I know it all sounds obvious but might be worth checking...

Like said above PUMP up the volume if not done in the recording settings not the playback (all the way to the right on the creative mixer thing under REC not source). And just a thought? are u recording from the front port? or the plug in the back of the card? It seems some people have verrrrrry low volume on the front port for this card and the back is fine. So if u are plugged into the front mic plug give the back a try and report back. On the topic of USB/1394 sound. If u are just recording voice for lets say teamspeak or voip then any card will do. If u are recording for some other reason (singing maybe? u better make sure u get a good one creative does have them)

Hope this helps