low resolution DVD

Does anyone know how I could record a low-resolution DVD (NTSC, 352x240), or
with what software I could do it? I've been trying 2 programs so far and
both of them are telling me my 22 minute video is taking almost 25% of my
DVD's space, even though it is encoded in 352x240 at a bitrate of 1550 kb/s
(avg. VBR) in MPEG-Layer II audio (MP2). I have encoded it with TMPGEnc,
which tells me I could put up to 495 minutes of video on a standard 4.7GB
DVD. Now, considering the resolution, the bitrate and the audio, I believe
this but none of my programs seem to think the same way. Any ideas?
Thanks!!

Look at MyDVD or ULead DVD Workshop. Believe one of the two had low-res
encoding settings.

On Thu, 17 Jun 2004 10:42:50 -0400, "Ampersand"
<ampersand@yourbestfriend.com> wrote:

>I have encoded it with TMPGEnc,
>which tells me I could put up to 495 minutes of video on a standard 4.7GB
>DVD. Now, considering the resolution, the bitrate and the audio, I believe
>this but none of my programs seem to think the same way. Any ideas?

Try TMPGEnc DVD Author. It should accept your lo-res file without
re-encoding. http://www.pegasys-inc.com/en/download/tda.html

On Thu, 17 Jun 2004 15:32:45 GMT, Jan Panteltje
<pNaonStpealmtje@yahoo.com> wrote:

>Not sure 352x240 is a DVD standard.

It is: http://www.dvddemystified.com/dvdfaq.html#3.4

Allowable picture resolutions are:
MPEG-2, 525/60 (NTSC): 720x480, 704x480, 352x480, 352x240
MPEG-2, 625/50 (PAL): 720x576, 704x576, 352x576, 352x288
MPEG-1, 525/60 (NTSC): 352x240
MPEG-1, 625/50 (PAL): 352x288

Ampersand wrote:

> Does anyone know how I could record a low-resolution DVD (NTSC, 352x240), or
> with what software I could do it? I've been trying 2 programs so far and
> both of them are telling me my 22 minute video is taking almost 25% of my
> DVD's space, even though it is encoded in 352x240 at a bitrate of 1550 kb/s
> (avg. VBR) in MPEG-Layer II audio (MP2). I have encoded it with TMPGEnc,
> which tells me I could put up to 495 minutes of video on a standard 4.7GB
> DVD. Now, considering the resolution, the bitrate and the audio, I believe
> this but none of my programs seem to think the same way. Any ideas?

I've created half- and quarter-D1 resolution DVDs with DVD-Lab no problem.

-WD

On Thu, 17 Jun 2004 15:32:45 GMT, Jan Panteltje
<pNaonStpealmtje@yahoo.com> wrote:

>On a sunny day (Thu, 17 Jun 2004 10:42:50 -0400) it happened "Ampersand"
><ampersand@yourbestfriend.com> wrote in
><h3iAc.14145$YI6.56620@wagner.videotron.net>:
>
>>22 minute video is taking almost 25% of my
>>DVD's space, even though it is encoded in 352x240 at a bitrate of 1550 kb/s
>>(avg. VBR) in MPEG-Layer II audio (MP2).

I'll assume it's Mpeg-2 video at 1550 kbps.

>Not sure 352x240 is a DVD standard.

It is -for NTSC

>There is D2, 360x576 (PAL), maybe there is 352x480 NTSC??? (dunno where you are).

Standard resolutions are

PAL: 352x288, 352x576, 704x576, 720x576
NTSC: 352x240, 352x480, 704x480, 720x480

>So, given a low bitrate too, and the CORRECT format, you may get more then 4 hours
>on a single sided DVD, maybe even 7.

Really.

>On the other hand, many DVD players are coming on the market that can play DivX (www.divx.com).
>If you just want the movie, and not the other options, you could get a LOT
>on a DVD in 253x240. In that case 1500kbps would be a bit much, you could
>drop to 750 kbps or lower for that format perhaps.

Those players that support DivX, shall also play .mpg files, so
there's also the alternative of making an mpeg, which can then have
any non-standard resolution.

erratic <erratic@reply-to.address> wrote in

> On Thu, 17 Jun 2004 10:42:50 -0400, "Ampersand"
> <ampersand@yourbestfriend.com> wrote:
>
>>I have encoded it with TMPGEnc,
>>which tells me I could put up to 495 minutes of video on a standard
>>4.7GB DVD. Now, considering the resolution, the bitrate and the
>>audio, I believe this but none of my programs seem to think the same
>>way. Any ideas?
>
> Try TMPGEnc DVD Author. It should accept your lo-res file without
> re-encoding. http://www.pegasys-inc.com/en/download/tda.html

I have a bunch of 20+ minutes cooking shows & I can save up to 12 per dvd.
I use TMPGEnc to encode them to MPEG-2 @ 352x240 & CBR of 2000 with MPEG-1
Audio Layer II. Then use TMPGEnc DVD Author to create chapters & burn.
Works great.

"erratic" <erratic@reply-to.address> wrote in message
> On Thu, 17 Jun 2004 10:42:50 -0400, "Ampersand"
> <ampersand@yourbestfriend.com> wrote:
>
> >I have encoded it with TMPGEnc,
> >which tells me I could put up to 495 minutes of video on a standard 4.7GB
> >DVD. Now, considering the resolution, the bitrate and the audio, I
believe
> >this but none of my programs seem to think the same way. Any ideas?
>
> Try TMPGEnc DVD Author. It should accept your lo-res file without
> re-encoding. http://www.pegasys-inc.com/en/download/tda.html

Thanks for the tip! I tried TMPGEnc DVD Author and it worked great,
detected my low resolution vids and used the right amount of space on the
disc. However, I do believe that the program re-encodes the files when it
comes to creating the file structure (AUDIO_TS and VIDEO_TS folders),
because it took about 15 minutes to get done. As the files are already
compliant, is it possible to just use the mpeg2 files without re-encoding?
Thanks!

P.S.: I also made a coaster with this program :-( A few seconds after
starting to record the DVD, I had an 'invalid unit number' error...

On Fri, 18 Jun 2004 10:07:35 -0400, "Ampersand"
<ampersand@yourbestfriend.com> wrote:

>However, I do believe that the program re-encodes the files when it
>comes to creating the file structure (AUDIO_TS and VIDEO_TS folders),
>because it took about 15 minutes to get done. As the files are already
>compliant, is it possible to just use the mpeg2 files without re-encoding?

It didn't re-encode the files. That would have taken much longer.
It does demultiplex your mpeg-2 files and then re-multiplex them
as VOBs, because that's what the DVD-Video format requires.

AFAIK TMPGEnc DVD Author doesn't even include an encoder,
so it couldn't possibly have re-encoded your files.

> On Fri, 18 Jun 2004 10:07:35 -0400, "Ampersand"
> <ampersand@yourbestfriend.com> wrote:
>
> >However, I do believe that the program re-encodes the files when it
> >comes to creating the file structure (AUDIO_TS and VIDEO_TS folders),
> >because it took about 15 minutes to get done. As the files are already
> >compliant, is it possible to just use the mpeg2 files without
re-encoding?

> It didn't re-encode the files. That would have taken much longer.
> It does demultiplex your mpeg-2 files and then re-multiplex them
> as VOBs, because that's what the DVD-Video format requires.
>
> AFAIK TMPGEnc DVD Author doesn't even include an encoder,
> so it couldn't possibly have re-encoded your files.

It can re-encode the audio, most often if you feed it 44Kps sampled
audio, it will make it DVD compliant 48K.
/Ken

On Fri, 18 Jun 2004 11:23:28 -0500, "Ken Maltby" <kmaltby@sbcglobal.net>
wrote:

> It can re-encode the audio, most often if you feed it 44Kps sampled
>audio, it will make it DVD compliant 48K.

You're right, that slipped my mind. That makes DVD Author excellent for
VCD to DVD conversion.

But if the OP used the low-resolution DVD template (in TMPGEnc's project
wizard) the audio would have been 48 kHz already.

> On Fri, 18 Jun 2004 11:23:28 -0500, "Ken Maltby" <kmaltby@sbcglobal.net>
> wrote:
>
> > It can re-encode the audio, most often if you feed it 44Kps sampled
> >audio, it will make it DVD compliant 48K.
>
> You're right, that slipped my mind. That makes DVD Author excellent for
> VCD to DVD conversion.
>
> But if the OP used the low-resolution DVD template (in TMPGEnc's project
> wizard) the audio would have been 48 kHz already.

Right, I just wanted to make sure someone less informed, reading
this thread, not take it the wrong way.

Luck;
Ken