Low resolution looking pretty much blurred and ugly on monitor

Adsthebest

Reputable
Jan 26, 2015
Hello,
I have a 21.5 inch LG 1080p ips monitor. So last night while playing, i lowered the resolution to gain some performance boost , but the image looked so bad and blurred. So I hooked up my PC on my Samsung tv (1080p) and everything was fine , lower resolutions were looking great. So I took the hdmi cable which I use with the tv and plugged it into my monitor , but my monitor didn't detect that cable.

Resolutions I tried
1600x900
1366x768
1280x720

All looked fine on tv but dull on monitor.

System specs
Motherboard-Asus h81-cs
Ram - 4x2 ( 8gb ram)
Hdd- Toshiba 1 Tb
Gpu - Msi gtx 1050 2gb OC edition
CPU-Core i3 4130

(Ps- I only have 2 hdmi cables , so can't try dvi )

Solution
check the scaling options on the nvidia control panel, i'd guess that the TV has better upscaling than the monitor as it will have different resolutions coming in.
TVs have better upscaling because video is normally overscanned. That is, 1080p is enlarged so the image is slightly larger than the 1080p screen. If the TV didn't have good upscaling, this would look horrible.

Some monitors have good scaling of non-native resolutions, some have bad (or no) scaling. A few actually have menu options to choose the type of scaling. If your monitor has poor scaling, there's not much you can do short of replacing the monitor. You could try hacking the game to run at half 1080p resolution (960x540). Some games have an internal scaling option (e.g. it renders at 1366x768 but upscales it to 1920x1080 for display, sometimes this is given as a percent slider).