[SOLVED] LOW RTX2060 usage

Jun 11, 2021
Hello everyone, I am kind of desperate at this point.

So last week I have replaced my RX5500xt with a new RTX2060OC, but as I launched my games after the installation, I have seen bad stuff.

My average FPS dropped from around 45 to 25, the games freeze and crash, get stuck and whenever I get to a big graphical challenge, I get 8 FPS max.
I have checked why it happens, I could see that my GPU usage is very very low, usually around 30-50%, sometimes 60 and one time even 80, but never 99%.

I do have an old CPU, i5-4460, but it is not a bottleneck since my CPU usage also gets to 70-80% max.
I have seen on the net that it might happen because of a weak PSU, but I suppose it is not the case because I have a 500wat CPU, which is the minimum required for RTX2060.

I have tried to run DDU, reinstall drivers, check the temperature (which was normal) and whatever you may think of, but nothing helps, I really feel like I have paid almost 1000$ for nothing.

Other PC specs:
Processor Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-4460 CPU @ 3.20GHz 3.20 GHz
Installed RAM 24.0 GB (23.9 GB usable)
System type 64-bit operating system, x64-based processor

Please help me, thanks

Solution
Well 4 core 4 threads is a problem, but it's likely just your ram speed tbh
if you can overclock the ram at all that would deff help, if you can't you are most likely are stuck
I'd remove and reinstall one of the games in question with low FPS, just to rule out the game's configuration/install being optimized for your previous AMD GPU, etc...

You can't really make conclusions on GPU usage percentages; your CPU is older, only 4 threads, and, if playing at 1080P, that will certainly cap usage as large portions of VRAM go unutilized...(also varies massively with game)

Jun 11, 2021
I'd remove and reinstall one of the games in question with low FPS, just to rule out the game's configuration/install being optimized for your previous AMD GPU, etc...

You can't really make conclusions on GPU usage percentages; your CPU is older, only 4 threads, and, if playing at 1080P, that will certainly cap usage as large portions of VRAM go unutilized...(also varies massively with game)
Alright, I'll try that, thanks. But, is there any way that the PSU doesn't provide enough power after all? I have 4 disks and one is SSD

Alright, I'll try that, thanks. But, is there any way that the PSU doesn't provide enough power after all? I have 4 disks and one is SSD
An older PSU or malfunctioning one may cause issues, but it'd likely to also cause other hardware glitches if not outright crash the computer.

Another thing to check is using HWiNFO or GPU-z to see what the PerfCap reason is. HWiNFO will have the reasons listed with yes/no, GPU-z will just say what it is

Jun 11, 2021
An older PSU or malfunctioning one may cause issues, but it'd likely to also cause other hardware glitches if not outright crash the computer.

Another thing to check is using HWiNFO or GPU-z to see what the PerfCap reason is. HWiNFO will have the reasons listed with yes/no, GPU-z will just say what it is

Here are the results of the rendering test, tell me if you see anything wrong because I have no idea

https://snipboard.io/2ECo0q.jpg

Assuming that you don't have any other limiters set (e.g., power, voltage, etc), then I would argue there is a CPU bottleneck condition at least with the information given. Just because the CPU is not at 100% doesn't mean there isn't a single thread can tie up the entire game, and Windows' default behavior for scheduling tasks is to spread the load so even if it appears to be 70% across the board, that single thread may be hopping cores. This could especially be the case with DX11 games since DX11 uses a single threaded renderer.

If you really want to verify the GPU is working fine, run a GPU intensive benchmark like 3DMark Time Spy or Unigine Superposition.