Question Low space on recovery drive

Jun 9, 2019
Apologies in advance if this post is in the wrong section. Hi, i'm getting a message to say i have low disk space on Recovery drive. I checked the properties and of the 21GB on there, there's only 2.07GB available left. I checked what's in there and there's an empty "Program Files" folder and the "Recovery" which shows it only takes up 250MB? Any help or suggestions would be much appreciated, thanks.

I'm using a HP Pavilion Laptop. Running Windows 8.1

Jun 9, 2019
it the recovery drive. don't touch it.
remove the drive letter in disk management

Thanks for the quick response. Yeah i understand it's the recovery drive but was wondering why it is showing as nearly full when the "recovery" in there is only taking up such a small amount of the space. Nothing else is showing up as to what it is that is actually taking up all the rest of that drive.

USAFRet

Titan
Apologies in advance if this post is in the wrong section. Hi, i'm getting a message to say i have low disk space on Recovery drive. I checked the properties and of the 21GB on there, there's only 2.07GB available left. I checked what's in there and there's an empty "Program Files" folder and the "Recovery" which shows it only takes up 250MB? Any help or suggestions would be much appreciated, thanks.

I'm using a HP Pavilion Laptop. Running Windows 8.1
Screencap of your Disk Management window, please.

Almost certainly this is just a result of that partition mistakenly been given a drive letter.
File Explorer now sees it. And 21GB with only 2.07GB free space triggers that warning. Under 10% free space.

If it has a drive letter (D or E?), just remove that drive letter, and the warning will go away.

Reactions: WHISPER100

USAFRet

Titan
Thank you. I downloaded the winstatdir and it seems it's the "install.wim" that is taking up 15.6 GB. I take it this is normal then?
Yes.

That partition exists so that you can return the system to original out of the box condition.
Also, you can use that to create a USB to do that as well. You should do this, in case the actual hard drive fails.
The user manual will tell you how to invoke that function.

Reactions: WHISPER100
Jun 9, 2019
Screencap of your Disk Management window, please.

Almost certainly this is just a result of that partition mistakenly been given a drive letter.
File Explorer now sees it. And 21GB with only 2.07GB free space triggers that warning. Under 10% free space.

If it has a drive letter (D or E?), just remove that drive letter, and the warning will go away.

Thanks for the reply. Yes it is named "Recovery D" and that's how it was named when i bought it. Here's screenshot of Disk Management. View: https://imgur.com/a/n9iL8EI

TRENDING THREADS