low speed ddr4 8700k vs 6800k

Toxic_Cobra

Honorable
Jan 9, 2016
Hi,
I have a i7-6800k with a msi gaming pro carbon motherboard. A while ago, I plugged a rgb strip into the j_LED header that was made for a different kind of strip, and it burned the motherboard LEDs. I've been using the board for a few months and for the most part it's fine, besides all the LEDs not working and the occasional restart. Right now I'm contemplating upgrading to coffee lake but I've hard it suffers from low speed ram. I have 2x4gb ddr4 2133 and 2x4gb ddr4 3000, obviously I can't run two sticks at a higher speed then the other two so I keep them all at 2133, and obviously nows not the time to buy ram (I got my 16gb 2133 kit for $95 a year and a half ago, lol). If I upgrade to the 8700k, will it be better then my current 6800k even with the bottleneck of slow ram? I've just heard low speed ram impacts coffee lake much more. I read the bottleneck gets higher as you overclock the cpu, which I plan to do.

Solution
Does not sound right to me about needing faster ram.
Do you have a source on that assertion?

8700K should outclass the 6800k in every way regardless of ram speed.
Plus, it will overclock higher. likely 5 multipliers higher.

As a rule, more ram trumps faster ram unless you are running integrated graphics or a ram speed intensive app.

If you can get your 4 disparate sticks to work together, you are lucky.
I think I would sell both kits in favor of a single 2 x 8gb kit of say 3000 speed.
Does not sound right to me about needing faster ram.
Do you have a source on that assertion?

8700K should outclass the 6800k in every way regardless of ram speed.
Plus, it will overclock higher. likely 5 multipliers higher.

As a rule, more ram trumps faster ram unless you are running integrated graphics or a ram speed intensive app.

If you can get your 4 disparate sticks to work together, you are lucky.
I think I would sell both kits in favor of a single 2 x 8gb kit of say 3000 speed.

Solution

Toxic_Cobra

Honorable
Jan 9, 2016

How much do you think I could get for my ram?
I originally bought one kit of 4x4gb ddr4 2133 for $95, but one of the sticks was fautly and corsair wouldn't honor their warranty so I bought 2x8gb ram ddr4 3000 ($70) and run it with two of those dims to make 16gb in quad channel. All together I have 6 dims, two not used and one of those not working properly. Also, my motherboard is damaged (as stated) do you think I can sell it with my processor, my ram, and a h115i? how much do you think that'd be worth? I originally paid $330 for the motherboard, but I'd imagine it's not worth more then $50 broken like this.

Article stating that coffee lake has dramatic improvement with faster ram: http://digiworthy.com/2017/10/13/intel-coffee-lake-ram-speed-gaming/

Go to ebay, and find your parts in used condition.
Filter on completed auctions.
In green you will see what they actually sold for.

You are probably better off selling parts individually.
Fewer people will be looking for your bundle.

And, better not to mix a faulty motherboard into the mix as a bundle.

Corsair has lifetime warranty, so far as I know.
What they will not do is support ram that is from disparate kits.
There is lots going on in matching ram and no way to support mismatched kits.
Even though you have 4 ram slots on a motherboard, that does not mean quad channel support on coffee lake

It costs about $50 to have a motherboard socket replaced if you send it back.
I imagine any other repair might be the same.
consider what you might get if you had it repaired vs. selling it as is for parts.

I found the link interesting and perhaps important to competitive gamers.
But all of the frame rates and the minimum rates seem very high to me.
Still, if you want faster ram, you can get it on coffee lake motherboards.
4000 speed if you want to pay the price.

Toxic_Cobra

Honorable
Jan 9, 2016
I ended up upgrading to the 8700k and got new 3466mhz ram, bit the bullet because ram doesn't look like it's coming down soon!
I still have this board, cpu, and ram. The rams in two kits, I'll try selling it together because it worked together for me, I only used 4 dims for duel Chanel but I'll try to sell all 5. Corsair won't validate the warranty on my broken kit they sent me because I ordered it on amazon, I tried contacting them when I first got it. Thanks

When I have sold on ebay, I found it good to sell the cpu/motherboard and ram as a combo.
I think the buyer has more confidence that it will all work together.
For me, I like that a processor already inserted into the motherboard socket is going to work without worrying about bent socket pins.