gabitg103

Reputable
Sep 11, 2017
I am having quite a strange problem, my front type-c port delivers usb-2 speeds (around 40mb/s) when I plug an external ssd to it.
It's worth mentioning that the same ssd connected to the same port deliverd 500mb/s speeds before I upgraded to windows 11 and in addition it worked fine with my previous motherboard (Auros z270x gaming 5) when connected through usb 3 to usb type c MB header adapter.

I have tried to update all the drivers, the bios version and plugging different ssd but nothing helped.

One more strange thing is that when I plug regular type-c flash drive with 150mb/s write speeds I am getting full speed. Has anyone encountered this problem and have an idea on how to fix it? I am desperate and any help will be appreciated.

My current rig is:
CPU: i9-10850k
Motherboard: Asus rog strix z590-E
Case: Corsair 500D-SE
GPU: Gigabyte auros 3060 TI
RAM: 64GB Corsair vengeance 3200mhz
Cooler: Arctic liquid freezer II - 240

there have been some posts recently about windows using wrong driver for usb3 (not working on ubs3 port at all or at slow speed)
generally what has worked for others: so this is a quick list of what others have done to get similar situation resolved.
it does not mean it works for everyone or everything.
connect drive
open device manager
find your USB connected drive
uninstall device
unplug drive
reboot
replug device and let windows reinstall driver again.

Jul 3, 2022
Go into your bios -> Advanced -> AdvancedOnboard devices Configuration.
Try changing from auto to gen 3 or 4 for the correct usb port. Not sure which gen Asus rog strix z590-E supports in the front panel.