Low Speed Test - Please Help

Nov 11, 2018
Senior citizen computer noob here so please be gentle. :)
The retirement community I live in just got an internet upgrade to 100mps. I tested mine using speedtest.net and am only getting 57. If I call them to come out and check as to why, I will likely be charged a $50 service fee so would like to see if I can figure it out myself first. Here are some details...

The computer is an old (9 years) HP Slimline Desktop s5150t.
It is running Vista 64-bit (I know, I know... :ouch: )
The Network Adapter is a Realtek RTL8168D/8111D Family PCI-E GBE NIC
The modem was provided by Spectrum and is an ARRIS TG1682
I do have a router but this problem persists even if I bypass the router and connect the modem directly to the computer.

I've done searches and can't find any info as to whether the network card is even capable of 100mps. There are no updated drivers on HP's site for this computer's network adapter.

What can I try in order to figure out what is causing the low speed?

Thank You very much, -Dani

Remember you are using a shared resource. Plus some ISPs will throttle you when they see that you’re running a speed test. It’s better to do a huge download from a fast server to really test your speeds but I realize you may not have that option available

Realtek RTL8168D/8111D Family PCI-E GBENIC

GBE = Gigabit (or 1000mbp/s)

Your network connection speed to your modem has nothing to do with your PC's setup, short of your PC utilising bandwidth while running tests. Start by looking at your modem's sync and throughput speeds, and monitor PC network activity with resmon (windows process) before and during tests, to remove that as a factor.

Get sync and thoughput of modem by connection to it with a browser (no idea what level of modem access you have) and finding it. These modems tend to get flashed with firmware from the ISP or 3rd party installer, so might have a lot of features or info locked down.

Which ISPs throttle speed tests? Why would they? I've heard instances of ISPs applying management to throttle heavy download ports, but giving priority to speedtests so their tests results look better than their download speeds, but never the reverse.

I do concur on the large file as an option, and also try several speedtest sites. Thinkbroadband offer a range of files to download on a range of ports - https://www.thinkbroadband.com/download

Ralston18

Titan
In addition:

Have you tried another known working Ethernet cable? Current cable may be an old Cat 5 (or lower). A Cat 5e cable may provide some improvement in the speed.

And, just for the record, have a family member or friend with a newer laptop try your connections - with and without the router as you have done.

Your HP Slimline's network adapter may not be correctly configured to fully communicate with the router. There are a number of settings that can make a difference.

Here is a link that may be helpful:

https://www.home-network-help.com/configuring-ip.html

You can easily google to find other similar links. (Search: "How to configure network adapter in Vista")

Just read first and explore how your Slimline is currently configured. Look for some configuration setting that appears not to be as you would expect from the readings.

No immediate need to start changing things. Key is to discover and understand what the current configuration is.

Nov 11, 2018
Thank you Peter Martin, camieabz, and Ralston18 for your responses and the links provided. I will research and look into the suggestions you've so kindly offered.