[SOLVED] Low speeds (90-95Mbps) on gigabit service ?

illusionZzz

Distinguished
Jul 20, 2016
Recently we upgraded to Gigabit Fibre, but I haven't been able to get actual gigabit speeds (and yes I know it's more likely to get 800-900mbps) and I'm averaging 90-95 Mbps on all devices I tried. I reinstalled the drivers on my main computer, as well as checked the Speed/Duplex in my Ethernet adapter properties (it is set to Gigabit) but the adapter still only reads 100Mbps in the settings.

Now I should note my main computer is not in the same room as the modem, rather 1 floor above, I've tried using a powerline adapter but it has gotten mediocre results, and where my main computer is located is about right on top of the modem. The modem we use is the Bell R3000 Wi-fi modem, and from what I know it has gigabit lan ports, I also checked all the cables and they all appear to be Cat5E.

Another note, on 5G wifi, my phone gets about 400-500Mbps when next to the modem, so maybe it could just be the powerline adapter? I know they aren't as great as plugging directly into the router, but we live in a relatively small house and my speed is cut to 1 tenth the speed of what were paying for, moving my computer is also not really an option, so any help or suggestions would be appreciated! Thanks!

-Edit - When I use my powerline adapter (TP-AV1000 Gigabit Starter Kit) my ethernet adapter reads 1.0Gbps on the properties, when I use a cable box..? (It's under the brand Arris) It reads as 100Mbps, so I'm thinking it's just something to do with my powerline adapter, I've tried different outlets (on both sides, on the router side and on the adapter connecting to my PC) and the max speed I am able to get is around 70-75Mbps, and when using my cable box (I honestly don't know what it is, but it gives me a connection) it pulls around 95Mbps. Interestingly, when using my powerline, my download is 70Mbps as said before, but my upload jumps up to around 150Mbps (if that means anything.)

If anyone knows anything about how to improve the speeds of a powerline adapter (I do not have the map for the electrical circuits in my house unfortunately) any help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!

Mobo-MSI Z370-A PRO (Which on MSI's website says it supports Gigabit LAN)
PSU-EVGA 750 GQ 750W 80+ Gold
^Both are around 2 years old from when I built my computer.

Last edited:
Solution
Most newer powerline adapters have a gigabit port, so it shouldn't be saying it's only 100Mbps unless you have an old one. And if it's an older one, the performance can be far less than the newer ones. But even the newer ones will be lucky to get 100Mbps. Powerline isn't going to be your solution here.

You can try wireless if that is faster or if you have coax cables in your walls, you can try moca adapters. Once the moca wiring is good (usually needs some tweaking), moca sets up as quickly as powerline but can hit full gigabit speeds and even 2.5Gbps on the newest models.

Obviously the very best solution is to run a cable, but that's not always easy.
Most newer powerline adapters have a gigabit port, so it shouldn't be saying it's only 100Mbps unless you have an old one. And if it's an older one, the performance can be far less than the newer ones. But even the newer ones will be lucky to get 100Mbps. Powerline isn't going to be your solution here.

You can try wireless if that is faster or if you have coax cables in your walls, you can try moca adapters. Once the moca wiring is good (usually needs some tweaking), moca sets up as quickly as powerline but can hit full gigabit speeds and even 2.5Gbps on the newest models.

Obviously the very best solution is to run a cable, but that's not always easy.

Solution
Powerline adapters, regardless of advertising, will only get you 50-200mbps at best under ideal conditions. I've never seen more than that, and realistically most homes get 75-120mbps from what I've seen.

As SamirD said, the best bet is if you have cable tv coax because you can actually get nearly full gigabit speeds from MOCA adapters (>900mbps) in the real world. But that requires a cable outlet in the same room as your router and in the same room as your computer. The 2 cables should be connected to a main home splitter, and that splitter needs to be a full range 5-2300mhz splitter(splitters aren't too expensive).

As SamirD said, the best bet is if you have cable tv coax because you can actually get nearly full gigabit speeds from MOCA adapters (>900mbps) in the real world. The 2 cables should be connected to a main home splitter, and that splitter needs to be a full range 5-2300mhz splitter(splitters aren't too expensive).
You don't even have to use a splitter if it's just a point-to-point run. I have a simple barrel connector at my place connecting the two cables together in my demarc.

TRENDING THREADS