Question Low Temperature, Low Usage??

Basto13

Prominent
Apr 27, 2019
My CPU has been at 20% Usage and 40C and everything is running slow because of this CPU Bottleneck, can you help me? My computer specs are GPU - GeForce GTX 1060 6gb | CPU- Ryzen 5 1600 | RAM - 16gb of Anarchy X DDR4 | Motherboard - Gigabyte Technology AX370-Gaming K5 | HDD - Toshiba DT01ACA100 | Power Unit - 550W PSU. (P.S. - I have the Samsung 860 Evo 1TV SSD but I haven't put that in yet as I've been lazy, so if its the HDD right now then factor in the SSD as well please.) I play a game called rust and I have been for a long time, I usually run a good stable 70fps but lately, I've been running 40 with many dips. I want to know what's holding me down so I can fix it, Please respond ASAP -Basto13

My CPU has been at 20% Usage and 40C and everything is running slow because of this CPU Bottleneck
What bottleneck? 20% and 40C, ur CPU is having a vacation, is not working hard, it can be PUSHED another 80% and 60C, why doesn't it? Are u suggesting it NEVER goes above 20% load? NEVER, EVER heard of this, is impossible. There is something your are not disclosing.

Great that you played this game for a long time, but that doesn't help troubleshooting this issue. Need to know if this is a new machine, a new build, was this machine working, with that game for a while good, and then all of a sudden? things don't break all of a sudden. Something happened, something changed.

Last edited:

Basto13

Prominent
Apr 27, 2019
What bottleneck? 20% and 40C, ur CPU is having a vacation, is not working hard, it can be PUSHED another 80% and 60C, why doesn't it? Are u suggesting it NEVER goes above 20% load? NEVER, EVER heard of this, is impossible. There is something your are not disclosing.

Great that you played this game for a long time, but that doesn't help troubleshooting this issue. Need to know if this is a new machine, a new build, was this machine working, with that game for a while good, and then all of a sudden? things don't break all of a sudden. Something happened, something changed.
I'm disclosing everything I know, This is a machine I've had for almost 3 years and it ran well with rust but all of a sudden it became very hard to play because of low FPS

BeBlaze

Reputable
Jun 14, 2018
Do you have a anti-malware/Anti-Virus + Do you have too much on your computer were your OS is installed?? having too much on a computer can sometimes slow things down. Do you have too much stuff loading in at once like in the background? have you checked task mananger?

Not sure why you wouldn't put in an SSD over a HDD, especially if you got it. It will take you all of 10 minutes to install and have a computer that runs at it's potential

Have you run Afterburner with overview to see what is lagging or slowing your computer down as well as monitoring the usage of the CPU and GPU?
If so, send a screenshot

Basto13

Prominent
Apr 27, 2019
Do you have a anti-malware/Anti-Virus + Do you have too much on your computer were your OS is installed?? having too much on a computer can sometimes slow things down. Do you have too much stuff loading in at once like in the background? have you checked task mananger?
I have basic Anti-Malware and I do the windows runs sometimes and it says no viruses/malware was detected. I haven't put in the SSD because the way my room is there's this little cubby for my computer and every time I take it out it takes me an hour of breaking my wrists to reach to the USB's and HDMI's and I just have to feel around and put them in. I was waiting to get my new GPU to install them both but now this comes up and I don't know what the heck to do. I have task manager open all the time but I don't know what to close and what not to, right now I have 4 apps open and 60 in the background using 0.1% CPU usage.

Basto13

Prominent
Apr 27, 2019
Not sure why you wouldn't put in an SSD over a HDD, especially if you got it. It will take you all of 10 minutes to install and have a computer that runs at it's potential

Have you run Afterburner with overview to see what is lagging or slowing your computer down as well as monitoring the usage of the CPU and GPU?
If so, send a screenshot
Look above at the response when you can.

A cpu doing nothing when you are doing nothing, is a good thing.
Now it sounds to me, you got airflow and temperature problems if it's in a small cubby hole.
Won't know unless you use afterburner and run games with that monitoring CPU and GPU usage, but until you do that, I don't see how anyone can see what the problem is.

Basto13

Prominent
Apr 27, 2019
So your basic hardware is working the way is suppose to, so if only this ONE GAME has the problem as mentioned, then something wrong with THIS GAME. Is corrupted, is configured wrong, u turned on recording etc.
It's not just this game though, I used to run rocket league at 200~ FPS and now i run it at 120~

Basto13

Prominent
Apr 27, 2019
Now it sounds to me, you got airflow and temperature problems if it's in a small cubby hole.
Won't know unless you use afterburner and run games with that monitoring CPU and GPU usage, but until you do that, I don't see how anyone can see what the problem is.
Yes, its in a small cubby hole but it has proper air flow with a hole in one of the sides and its right new to my air conditioner which I keep at 65 Degrees Fahrenheit at all times. I will test my temps and usage in game right now so let me do that and i'll report back what i get.

Basto13

Prominent
Apr 27, 2019
So while I was stress testing in Rocket League | CPU - 20% Usage & Temperature is 104 Degrees Fahrenheit. GPU - 72% &* Temperature is at 140 Degrees Fahrenheit.

Basto13

Prominent
Apr 27, 2019
stick with 1 thread
My CPU has been having low temps and low usage. My computer specs are GPU - GeForce GTX 1060 6gb | CPU- Ryzen 5 1600 | RAM - 16gb of Anarchy X DDR4 | Motherboard - Gigabyte Technology AX370-Gaming K5 | HDD - Toshiba DT01ACA100 | Power Unit - 550W PSU. (P.S. - I have the Samsung 860 Evo 1TV SSD but I haven't put that in yet as I've been lazy, so if its the HDD right now then factor in the SSD as well please.) I play a game called rust and I have been for a long time, I usually run a good stable 70fps but lately, I've been running 40 with many dips. I want to know what's holding me down so I can fix it, Please respond ASAP -Basto13

You'd want to make sure all WIndows updates are applied, latest MB BIOS, latest chipset drivers, latest GPU driver package...and latest game patches...

Then make sure CPU is not throttling and is behaving normally with clock speeds (normally Balanced power plan is sufficient for most folks, where CPU ramps up only under load, then idles at/near 800-1000 MHz or so, ramping up/down a few times per second according to load as tasks start/stop) Try 'performance' power plan within Windows power plan settings...

Lastly, try/compare other games; if your results are inline with others' results with 2 out of 3 games, perhaps the game itself is botched with your configuration, etc)

And if you have an SSD, do a fresh/full re- install to it, reinstalling latest patches, updates, drivers, etc...; installing Windows itself to an SSD can be done in 5 minutes or less, so, no reason to avoid the process...

TRENDING THREADS