Low Temps With FX-6300

plzhalp

Reputable
Dec 28, 2014
I just built a PC and have been getting ridiculously low temps with an after market air cooler. The ambient temperature where the computer is is 20.5 Celsius. Before I overclocked, the temps were around 20-22 Celsius at idle, but dropped down to 16 or 17, even as low as 7. Under full load, temps were around 30-33 Celsius. After I overclocked idle temps are around 25-30 Celsius. Under full load the overclock temps are average 45 Cel. and max 47 Cel. These temperature seem ludicrously low, so asked around and no one had any idea. A friend referred me here so, what is up with my temps? If there is a problem, how can i fix it?

Specs:
CPU: FX-6300 OC'ed to 4.3 GHz
Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo
Mobo: Gigabyte GA-970a-UD3P
GPU: MSI R9 270 OC'ed to 1050 MHz Core clock and 1500Mhz memory clock.
Other Cooling: 4 case fans, 3 120mm, 1 140mm. 2 120mm intake on front. 1 120mm output on back. 1 140mm output on top.
Case: Antec Three Hundred
Storage: Seagate 1TB Hybrid drive
RAM: 8GB 1600MHz Crucial

Solution
Sounds normal to me.

The temp reporting from piledriver is actually in the form of a very precise but highly inaccurate thermal margin. It is not an output from a traditional temp probe. It's not unusual for it to report temps below ambient in low-load or no-load conditions. (Obviously, these readings are not accurate, but that's fine as long as you understand what is going on here).

Maximum temp for piledriver on it's own "scale" is 70C continuous. Critical/shutdown is 90C.

I've worked with 2 FX-6300's, both had nice low VID's at 1.212V for 3.5ghz, and would overclock to 4.3ghz with ~1.325V (long term stable) under load with pretty reasonable power dissipation (~140W at the chip while running prime95). The 212EVO would have no...

mdocod

Distinguished
Sounds normal to me.

The temp reporting from piledriver is actually in the form of a very precise but highly inaccurate thermal margin. It is not an output from a traditional temp probe. It's not unusual for it to report temps below ambient in low-load or no-load conditions. (Obviously, these readings are not accurate, but that's fine as long as you understand what is going on here).

Maximum temp for piledriver on it's own "scale" is 70C continuous. Critical/shutdown is 90C.

I've worked with 2 FX-6300's, both had nice low VID's at 1.212V for 3.5ghz, and would overclock to 4.3ghz with ~1.325V (long term stable) under load with pretty reasonable power dissipation (~140W at the chip while running prime95). The 212EVO would have no problems running at these dissipation levels with lots of thermal headroom. I think your mid-40s under load sound perfectly normal given my experience with several cooling solutions and 2 FX-6300's. (I ran the UD3P for a long time as well).

I'm running a very power hungry FX-8350 that needs 1.40V to run 4.4ghz and runs ~200W at the chip at these speeds/voltage under a load on an arctic A30, whose performance is similar to a 212EVO, and I get peak temps of 52C running prime95.

Solution

This^, temp reporting on FX series is only accurate under load, for the record I idle at 8 lol.