Question Low upload speeds

Butterpants

Reputable
Nov 4, 2019
When starting a gaming session yesterday I immediately experienced unusually high latency upon logging in. After going through some of the standard troubleshooting, I found the issue (I think) to be related to my upload speeds. My download speeds are stable and good, but my upload is ranging from 0.4 - 1.4 mbps.

I have run a WinMTR and shared that with the game's tech forum, to which I was told the problem seems to be between my house and the first hop outside my house.

Currently waiting on a response from my ISP techs, but am wondering if there are some other steps I can take to further diagnose the issue (or if there isn't anything to be done on my end and need to simply learn patience while waiting for my ISP to correct whatever is going wrong).

Thanks.

are you using wi-fi or ethernet cable?
is your router up to date? update its firmware if available.
unplug your router -> replug your router after waiting for about 2 minutes
can you enter the dsl modem´s login page and have a look which speeds it is getting from the isp?
update wi-fi and lan driver
check upload speeds with your phone using an app like speedtest.net
use a different cable
if wi-fi, try cable
any 3rd party antivirus or firewall installed?
is the connection to your router set to private or public ? set to private if not already set

When starting a gaming session yesterday I immediately experienced unusually high latency upon logging in. After going through some of the standard troubleshooting, I found the issue (I think) to be related to my upload speeds. My download speeds are stable and good, but my upload is ranging from 0.4 - 1.4 mbps.

I have run a WinMTR and shared that with the game's tech forum, to which I was told the problem seems to be between my house and the first hop outside my house.

Currently waiting on a response from my ISP techs, but am wondering if there are some other steps I can take to further diagnose the issue (or if there isn't anything to be done on my end and need to simply learn patience while waiting for my ISP to correct whatever is going wrong).

Thanks.

If possible, check if a different device on your network also has bad upload. Again, if possible, check you PC with a different connection (eg. set a smartphone as a router if your PC has WiFi). This should help isolate whether your WAN connection is the issue or not.