Question Low Utilization while gaming - MSI Ventus 3080Ti 3x OC Edition

Aug 19, 2021
So I've been noticing that when playing several games, that my gpu utilization is very low for the games I'm playing. I play all my games at 2560x1440. For example:
Elyon - Anytime I'm in towns near players my GPU utilization is in the 30/40% range. CPU about the same. When I get away from other players, the GPU utilization gets into the 70% range.
Black Desert Online - When I'm in a town with players around, my GPU utilization hovers between mid 40s and upper 50s. if I leave town and get away from other players, it shoots up to 95% or higher.
Warzone - This one I really don't get. When in a WZ match, my CPU is hitting high 80s while my GPU never breaks 5%.

My CPU is a Ryzen 5800X 8-Core
My PSU is an EVGA Supernova 850 GT, 80 Plus Gold 850W, Fully Modular Auto Eco Friendly. I have two separate 8 pin connectors going from the PSU to GPU.
My motherboard is an Asus TUF Gaming x570-pro Wifi 6
CPU Cooler is the Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 AIO.

My Bios is up to date. My Superposition benchmark score at 1440P with high settings and no motion blur was 17063. I've noticed my power draw when playing the games mentioned above generally is in the 310-330 range. In BDO, I noticed in town it was closer to 310, while outside of towns, while I was hitting 95% or higher utilization, the draw was closer to 345+.

Any help would be appreciated. I really don't know why I'm getting such terrible GPU utilization. I feel like I should be getting much higher FPS in these games. Elyon is only giving me 40-50 when I'm in towns, BDO 60s, and warzone 90s. That can't be right given my components.

Thanks

oldcracc

Reputable
Apr 10, 2019
That's weird, my only guess is your not pushing the card in 1440p, but even so it doesn't make too much sense to me in BDO why your card would be running harder outside of towns/players... In any case, can you try upscaling to 4k and seeing how the card runs? Also make sure you have your details maxed ou too.

Aug 19, 2021
That's weird, my only guess is your not pushing the card in 1440p, but even so it doesn't make too much sense to me in BDO why your card would be running harder outside of towns/players... In any case, can you try upscaling to 4k and seeing how the card runs? Also make sure you have your details maxed ou too.

Yeah so I was doing all this in remastered mode. I decided to put it in ultra mode to see if that would push the gpu utilization. In ultra mode, I was hitting 95% utilization. So basically in Remastered with all maxed settings at 1440, I was getting 60-70 fps and 40-50% gpu utilization. In Ultra mode, I was getting 95%+ utilization and 60-70 fps. I can't make any sense of it!

oldcracc

Reputable
Apr 10, 2019
Yeah so I was doing all this in remastered mode. I decided to put it in ultra mode to see if that would push the gpu utilization. In ultra mode, I was hitting 95% utilization. So basically in Remastered with all maxed settings at 1440, I was getting 60-70 fps and 40-50% gpu utilization. In Ultra mode, I was getting 95%+ utilization and 60-70 fps. I can't make any sense of it!
The only thing I can think of is reinstalling drivers in GeForce Experience.

Aug 19, 2021
The only thing I can think of is reinstalling drivers in GeForce Experience.

Yeah tried that unfortunately and no luck. Also found where there may have been an issue with Asus AI3 Suite limiting gpu utilization. Went has far as doing a complete wipe of my hd and fresh windows install, but still no luck. Never getting more than 40-60% utilization outside of that ultra mode on BDO.