Low vibration, black screen on boot. Please help!! power supply issue?

vinnyswin

Commendable
Nov 22, 2017
Two days ago, I opened my PC case to do a quick clean and some cable management. I then installed some magnetic dust filters on the outside of the case. I previously had motherboard issues which were resolved buy a professional. One slot will fry any stick of RAM that you put in there, but the other works fine. I hear a loud, low vibration in the case, which is comes and goes. I cracked open the case and determined that it isn't either of the hard drives or the optical drive. Noise or no noise, when I boot it up, I see the Gigabyte Ultra Durable® logo, then it goes to a black screen with a flashing underscore in the top left. Please help!

UPDATE- The vibration is definitely from the power supply, as when I whack the **** out of it, it shuts up. HOWEVER, the black screen remains when I try to boot from my regular boot drive. I booted from a USB stick of Windows 10, but there is no option to run the OS right from the drive without using it's install tool.

vinnyswin

Commendable
Nov 22, 2017
Sorry, thought they were in my sig.
Full Part List:goo.gl/2dBgXm Intel - Core i5-7400 3 GHz CPU Gigabyte -
GA-H110M-A Micro ATX LGA1151 Crucial - 8 GB (1 x 8 GB) DDR4-2400 RAM Toshiba -
1 TB 3.5" 7200RPM HDD Seagate - Constellation ES 2 TB 3.5" 7200RPM
HDD Gigabyte - GeForce GT 1030 2 GB Cougar - Spike MicroATX Mini Tower HEC -
485 W ATX PSU Cooler Master - 44.73 CFM 120mm Fans Dell - S2418NX 24.0"
1920x1080 60 Hz Monitor ROCCAT - ISKU Keyboard Dell - MS116 Mouse Logitech -
Z130 5 W 2ch Speakers

blackhawk2119

Prominent
Dec 21, 2018
flashing underscore? By any chance can you type with the keyboard or is there no response? To me it sounds like its displaying the command prompt? Just thought about the sound maybe your PSU fan bearing is bad and or Your computer isn't getting enough power to run past post?

vinnyswin

Commendable
Nov 22, 2017
Update 2: The flashing underscore was caused by it trying to boot off of my secondary drive (the Seagate). I must have accidentally shuffled the boot order around. It now boots fine, as I put the boot drive back to the top. However, the noise is still present unless I whack it. The noise still comes and goes. The PSU fan bearing being bad is very plausible, as it is a sketchy, cheap PSU. I may swap it out for an 80+ rated one soon. If I do so, I'll update the thread. Thanks for the time and advice!