[SOLVED] Low virtual memory crashing games and apps?

mavsynchroid

Honorable
Feb 9, 2014
Could have sworn I posted this thread a couple of minutes ago, but I can't find it anywhere, not even in the "Your Threads" section. Anyway..

For years, some of my games have been crashing after 20 to 40 minutes of gameplay. It almost seems random. There was nothing in even viewer but vague notifications that the programs simply crashed.

However, lately, my firefox browser has been randomly crashing as well. I checked out Event Viewer and found this error, not only for firefox, but for any game recently that had crashed out of the blue.

"Windows successfully diagnosed a low virtual memory condition. The following programs consumed the most virtual memory: FirewallModule.exe (8028) consumed 2463965184 bytes, firefox.exe (19480) consumed 583516160 bytes, and firefox.exe (5444) consumed 544632832 bytes."

Exchange the part of "firefox.exe" with anything else, for example "xcom2.exe" (The game XCOM 2). I have no clue why this happening.

Can anyone help me??

Solution
You got enough ram and free space. Check pagefile settings is set to Windows self managed.

A Windows reset may be in order.

mavsynchroid

Honorable
Feb 9, 2014
List PC specs please

Cpu
Motherboard
Ram
Hdd/ssd: And where Windows lives and how much space is left.

You haven't altered or disabled virtual memory/pagefile in system settings?

CPU - AMD Ryzen 5 1600 six core processor
Motherboard - ASUS Sabertooth .... I can't recall the exact model.
Ram - 16GB
Hdd/sdd - C: = 250GB SSD 91.4GB free (Windows on it)
D: = 1...TB? (1,000GB) HDD 615GB free (Downloads go here at first)
J: = 1 TB SSD 238 GB free (I use this for most of my games.)

As for the virtual memory... I may have poked around in there for a bit. It's sad to say, but I'm not sure what changes, if any, I made. It was the advice of someone years ago.

Dunno if this is considered off topic, but it turns out that "FirewallModule.exe" in the above error I told you about was concerning some sort of malware I've managed to get off my PC tonight. Don't think that was the main problem though as my games crashed long before that error appeared. It was only when that error appeared did my firefox browser start crashing as well.