Low voltage damages RAM?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

sepayne21

Distinguished
Aug 15, 2007

sorry, I forgot to answer the question.

in short, NO low voltage cannot damage your memory. the guy didn't know what he was talking about

Correct. They depend on the programable regulator on the motherboard that drops the 3.3 volts from the PSU to whatever is selected in BIOS.

WazzaUK

Distinguished
Oct 4, 2007
lol - sys will be really unstable..... (blue screen addict lol)
You didnt say if you had cleared CMOS after messing about with DIMMS (every time)..... When replacing/moving memory...... some MOBOS hate memory changes.....

Xtreeme

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2008
cool, I get it. This is great ya know some would have taken this as a arguement when really it was like sharing thoughts to get it streight. I like that not one harsh word and we discussed it in great detail.

In the end- warpspasm we all agree. The ram wasnt damaged by that. It was just the tech jumping to the wrong conclusion.

folded steel

Distinguished
Oct 5, 2007
Yeah... I just picked up 4GB of 1000mHz G.Skill RAM, m'self. Popped it in and it ran at 1.9v and only 800mHz. I just put an MSI P6N Diamond mobo in my PC (resurrected a Dell XPS 410), and was wondering if anyone knows how to 'unlock' the cell menu function to change the voltage.

I 'overclocked' the RAM to 1000mHz, even though that's its rated speed, and it appears to be running stable now...but the voltage seems to be set as a range of 1.8 to 2.8v (but is only drawing 1.9 at the moment). Also, Nvidia nTune software is registering my memory voltage with a 'red' warning symbol, saying that it's overstressed at 1.9v. Not sure if this is accurate, as it said that about my old 667mHz stock RAM, but I don't want to damage my 'new' system/RAM. If you can't tell, my tech experience isn't too low, but definitely not high enough for my tastes, lol.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

~FS

night_wolf_in

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2007

as far my knowledge goes in electronics. running chips in lower voltages wont damage the chip. since the main components "transistors" wont burn.

so i think it shouldnt done any harm.

night_wolf_in

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2007

download the manual of ur rams. c what are the standard voltage. n use that value in the bios.