Question Low voltage, high temperature

sylatex

Commendable
Oct 18, 2017
Hi there,

CPU: i7 4790k
MOBO: Gigabyte GA-Z97X-UD5H-BK
Cooler: Hyper 212X ( will be replaced with the Noctua NH-D15 in 2 days )

I'm relatively new so this so please bear with me.
I set the BIOS to optimised default settings and noticed the gigabyte board was boosting to 4.4 on all cores at 1.267 volts. I ran OCCT v6.1.1 linpack test at this stock settings and the screen would go black then PC would restart. This happens about 4 seconds into the test. Aida64, intel burn test, cinebench ran well but was getting quite hot, around 83c in about 10 minutes.

So I manually lock the clock at 4.4 and voltage at 1.2 then ran intel burn test, Aida64, cinebench and OCCT but not linpack, just large data sets, auto thread count and auto instruction set. I stopped the tests in about 10 mins as I was still getting temperatures of 83c in about 10 minutes even at the lower voltage.

I'm guessing my cooler is being overwhelmed so I've ordered the Noctua NH-D15

I am however still confused as to why I'm getting black screen with stock values. I'm concerned something else might be going on and my new cooler wouldn't fix it

Note: package temp at idle is between 22c and 42c

piechockidocent9

Honorable
Aug 30, 2017
Hey there, so for starters tests like AIDA, Prime95 or OCCT push ur cpu to the maximum capacity. In general use like gaming or resource heavy apps you won't ever reach that area. Second if you are rly serious about overclocking I'd not look at the results you get with stock coolers, specially with Intel ones which are laughable. Thirdly cpu does not equal cpu, you might have just gotten urself a particulary hot or voltage hungry unit. For example my i7-8700k will run 4,7ghz with 1,280v and if I try to push any further it's a jump to 1,360v and a massive heat increase while I've seen ppl achieve the same miracle line of 5ghz with just 1,225v.
Just wait for Noctua to arrive, basis you went for is very good being first set voltage to 1,2 and see how much you can squeeze out of it. If I may suggest anything do increase the testing period. 20 mins at the very least with 30 mins being the optimal or run the test to the point when the temparute stabilizes.

sylatex

Commendable
Oct 18, 2017
Hey there, so for starters tests like AIDA, Prime95 or OCCT push ur cpu to the maximum capacity. In general use like gaming or resource heavy apps you won't ever reach that area. Second if you are rly serious about overclocking I'd not look at the results you get with stock coolers, specially with Intel ones which are laughable. Thirdly cpu does not equal cpu, you might have just gotten urself a particulary hot or voltage hungry unit. For example my i7-8700k will run 4,7ghz with 1,280v and if I try to push any further it's a jump to 1,360v and a massive heat increase while I've seen ppl achieve the same miracle line of 5ghz with just 1,225v.
Just wait for Noctua to arrive, basis you went for is very good being first set voltage to 1,2 and see how much you can squeeze out of it. If I may suggest anything do increase the testing period. 20 mins at the very least with 30 mins being the optimal or run the test to the point when the temparute stabilizes.

Thanks for your answer. I feel is should point out that the test wasn't on the stock intel cooler but the hyper 212X.

So do I not perform the OCCT linpack test? Can I determine stability with just the Aida64 and the OCCT large data sets, I was able to run those for 10 mins before I stopped them while the OCCT linpack black screened in about 4 seconds

piechockidocent9

Honorable
Aug 30, 2017
Oh that'd a bit more troubling, whats' ur airflow in case and general ambient temp? From personal experience I'd avice using the OCCT default test, linkpack test includes avx which is basically what I merntioned in my previous post aka extremely heavy load on the cpu without sny applications in general use.

Last edited:

sylatex

Commendable
Oct 18, 2017
Oh that'd a bit more troubling, whats' ur airflow in case and general ambient temp? From sonal experience I'd avice using the OCCT default test, linkpack test includes avx which is basically what I merntioned in my previous post aka extremely heavy load on the cpu without sny applications in general use.

I have very good airflow, I actually took off the front panel at some point to see if it'll make any difference but it didn't.
I'm more confused as to why its running that hot at 1.2 volts

piechockidocent9

Honorable
Aug 30, 2017
Probably like I said just a very oc stubborn cpu (requires better cooling and more volts), other suspects partially cleared by you are the cooler and airflow. Another thing coming to mind is motherboard but Gigabyte has yet to let me down and Z chipsets are best at oc so I doubt that. Remember that cpu manufacturer gives you no guarantee above stock and if I'm not mistaken that doesn't include turbo.

sylatex

Commendable
Oct 18, 2017
Update
So I have installed the Noctua NH-D15 and I'm seeing fantastic temps.
I've now set a voltage of 1.225 overclocked to 4.6. I've been running aida64 for 36 minutes now and temps are bouncing between 54 and 63c. The highest temps recorded so far is 70c.
Can I consider this stable after 4 or 5 hours

piechockidocent9

Honorable
Aug 30, 2017
Another win for Noctua to sum it up shortly ;) Told you to wait for replacement cooler and to not to take into account stock temps. As to ur question yes ur temps look quite nice to me. Usually thermal throtling starts at over 90 degree C' so if you're not even reaching 80 in stress test and you have no errors that's a mangificent result. I'd even dare to say you could try to OC further.

sylatex

Commendable
Oct 18, 2017
Another win for Noctua to sum it up shortly ;) Told you to wait for replacement cooler and to not to take into account stock temps. As to ur question yes ur temps look quite nice to me. Usually thermal throtling starts at over 90 degree C' so if you're not even reaching 80 in stress test and you have no errors that's a mangificent result. I'd even dare to say you could try to OC further.

Yeah, the Noctua is great really, Temps are really down. I've been testing for a few days now and I've had to raise the voltage to 1.25 at 4.6. Temps are still between 54 and 71c.
Trouble is I'm beginning to wonder if I should have raised the voltage at all. I haven't been stable in any of the stress tests but heavy load. I wasn't stable on any of them even at stock values so I'm not sure what is happening there.
I have been able to run my simulators for hours without crashing just like i was able to at stock values. Ill keep an eye on if for a few days and maybe reduce the voltage. I'm beginning to think the best stress test is the application for which I use the PC .

Note: I've set voltage at 1.25 however LLC/Ring offset is adding 0.153 so even though I'm showing 1.25 at full load on CPU ID, I'm showing 1.260 and 1.272 on HW monitor

Last edited:
Sep 9, 2020
Yeah, the Noctua is great really, Temps are really down. I've been testing for a few days now and I've had to raise the voltage to 1.25 at 4.6. Temps are still between 54 and 71c.
Trouble is I'm beginning to wonder if I should have raised the voltage at all. I haven't been stable in any of the stress tests but heavy load. I wasn't stable on any of them even at stock values so I'm not sure what is happening there.
I have been able to run my simulators for hours without crashing just like i was able to at stock values. Ill keep an eye on if for a few days and maybe reduce the voltage. I'm beginning to think the best stress test is the application for which I use the PC .

Note: I've set voltage at 1.25 dunkin survey however LLC/Ring offset is adding 0.153 so even though I'm showing 1.25 at full load on CPU ID, I'm showing 1.260 and 1.272 on HW monitor

I determine stability with just the Aida64 and the OCCT large data sets, I was able to run those for 10 mins before I stopped them while the OCCT linpack black screened in about 4 seconds

Last edited: