Low voltage readings with no affect

Status
Not open for further replies.

timoty

Distinguished
Mar 13, 2010
Need some advice to put me at ease. This morning, I received a warning message after rearraging the cabling in my PC. It turns out that, according to the BIOS as well as several monitoring programs, that I have 1.06V for the 3.3V, 1.75V for the 5V, and 4.22V for the 12 V. I know that this isn't accurate because the system starts fine and passes any test I throw at it from Prime95 to Futurmark. I tried swapping out the PSU and even flashed the bios but I still get the low voltage readings. IT is an ASUS P5N32-E Sli motherboard.

So should I be concerned about this or just ignore it?

Solution
Obviously, because the system boots and runs, the PSU isn't that bad. Before you swap PSU's, verify the readings with a DMM.

Measure between the colored wires and either chassis ground or the black wires. Yellow wires should be 12 volts. Red wires: +5 volts, orange wires: +3.3 volts, blue wire : -12 volts, violet wire: 5 volts always on. Tolerances are +/- 5% except for the -12 volts which is +/- 10%.
Obviously, because the system boots and runs, the PSU isn't that bad. Before you swap PSU's, verify the readings with a DMM.

Measure between the colored wires and either chassis ground or the black wires. Yellow wires should be 12 volts. Red wires: +5 volts, orange wires: +3.3 volts, blue wire : -12 volts, violet wire: 5 volts always on. Tolerances are +/- 5% except for the -12 volts which is +/- 10%.

Solution

timoty

Distinguished
Mar 13, 2010
I'll give the DMM a try. I already tried swapping out the PSU (as noted in the origninal post) but it made no difference. I believe though, that if those voltages were in fact correct, the computer wouldn't even boot. Especially given that it has a 5770 video card. Without the correct power, the LCD wouldn't even come on (not enough power to the video card).

timoty

Distinguished
Mar 13, 2010
So, I take it then, that it is just a faulty monitor on the motherboard? In all the PC's I've owned (to many to count), I have never had that happen before. It can't be very common. I just hope that it isn't systemic, leading to other faults that are more problematic.

I have seen many boards with this issue(I have had many to play with).

Sometimes its just the way the sensors are read, I have not seen it in the bios however. It has always been with 3rd party software.

Did you get to check with a meter? I mean there is no way it would run with the 12 volt that low.

For fun, look at speedfan pics in Google. you will see lots with strange numbers.
http://www.google.ca/images?q=speedfan&um=1&hl=en&biw=1353&bih=1030&tbs=isch:1,isz:m&source=lnt&sa=X&ei=v4bPTIamPKKLnAfoltGPBg&ved=0CAgQpwU

timoty

Distinguished
Mar 13, 2010
5.09, 12.09, and 3.3 just like the doctor ordered. I can only assume that whatever chips(s) on the motherboard that are designed to monitor voltage are dead or corrupt. I flashed the bios and it made no difference. Problem now is that I have no reliable way to monitor my voltages any longer without using a volmeter.

In most cases its the same chip as the rest of the hardware monitoring. Most boards use chips from ITE. Since this is a separate chip, flashing the bios will not fix it.

I do not think it is a deal breaker, but if you are worried, you can contact your MB maker if it under warranty for a replacement of the board it self.

timoty

Distinguished
Mar 13, 2010
Replace the board, reactivate Windows (at the very least), down time, complaining kids. Nope. Think I'll take my chances. When / If she goes, its time to upgrade. Thanks for the advice. =)

Status
Not open for further replies.