Question Low volume rear panel

May 29, 2023
Headphone sound When I put the jack in the back panel the sound is lower than the front panel

How do I make the back panel sound the same as the front panel?
I've tried more than one HP Z230 case and they all have the same problem

Realtek sound card with latest drivers

Headphone sound When I put the jack in the back panel the sound is lower than the front panel

Back panel ? Back connectors are part of motherboard, not the case like front ones.
Which OS and drivers ?

Reactions: osamaorabi

It can depend on the audio chipset and how the system (motherboard) was built. But the chipset port normally wired to the front panel jack can have a higher output level than the port(s) wired to the rear. I imagine that's because the rear ports are typically used to drive an A/V system (stereo, 5.1, 7.1 depending on capability) with it's own amps and/or pre-amps while the front jack is meant to drive a headphone directly with no preamps or amps to help.

In my system with Realtek ALC1200 chipset the audio control console can let me declare the item I plugged in the rear line out jack as a Headphone and it seems have similar levels as the front jack. I think you can do the same thing in the Sound control panel applet in Windows if you can't find the Realtek Audio Control console in the Windows Store...or if it won't load for your system.

Last edited:
Reactions: dudio