[SOLVED] Low VRAM Usage affecting performance

Jan 1, 2021
TLDR: GPU isn't using as much VRAM as it should be and Im not entirely sure if there is a way or how to fix it

So I wanted to do some research on my GPU which is a 1660 ti XC Ultra, and while I was digging for an answer I came across some videos that showed the VRAM usage of a 1660 ti, I went to go see how much VRAM I was actually using and compared to other users with my GPU im using anywhere from 200 to 500 less mb of VRAM, Im not entirely sure how to either fix or increase the amount of VRAM that im actually using but for retrospect, I usually play fortnite, and I use about 1600 MB of VRAM compared to this benchmarker ( video listed below ) whos using almost 2000 MB of VRAM. I just need to know if its because of something that I have set wrong, or that its just because of the Model of my GPU

SYSTEM SPECIFICATIONS

32GB of corsair vengeance ram

1660 TI XC Ultra

Samsung 500GB SSD

AORUS B450 Elite Motherboard

Ryzen 7 3700x at stock settings

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-3eMmpP8UPI

Solution
I did end up going to go look and figure out what infinity fabric was and manually set it to 1600 since I am running 3200mhz, it was originally set to auto was it using a different value and was me setting it manually fixing anything

No, 1600 on the infinity fabric is fine, whether auto or manually set doesn't make a difference, as long as it's half the RAM frequency (because DDR stands for double-data rate. so 3200 is double 1600 so it's 1:1 example: 3600MHz RAM should have an infinity fabric of 1800, etc).

None, although when I use multithreaded rendering not all the process are split up correctly and in turn some cores will be used more than others, My gpu runs around 47-50% when I’m playing with a temp of 45 C

So...
The game handles how much VRAM it pulls, if you're quality settings in-game aren't set to Ultra it won't use as much Vram. Try cranking all the settings as high as you can and check it again. If it is already at ultra, what FPS are you getting, is it same as the this video?

Reactions: Imqxct
Jan 1, 2021
The game handles how much VRAM it pulls, if you're quality settings in-game aren't set to Ultra it won't use as much Vram. Try cranking all the settings as high as you can and check it again. If it is already at ultra, what FPS are you getting, is it same as the this video?
I’m do reach that FPS In the video sometimes, although I’ll get these weird frame stutters to 90 FPS making my mouse movements obscure, and sometimes objects won’t render in until the very last second causing even more stutters. We are both using the same settings on low, so I’m assuming we should be getting around the same results

I’m do reach that FPS In the video sometimes, although I’ll get these weird frame stutters to 90 FPS making my mouse movements obscure, and sometimes objects won’t render in until the very last second causing even more stutters. We are both using the same settings on low, so I’m assuming we should be getting around the same results

Those stutters aren't coming from your VRAM, that only happens when the VRAM is full. So the stuttering is coming from somewhere else.

What frequency is your RAM at (not your VRAM), are they set to XMP settings and is your infinity fabric at a 1:1 ratio with your RAM frequency?

Jan 1, 2021
Those stutters aren't coming from your VRAM, that only happens when the VRAM is full. So the stuttering is coming from somewhere else.

What frequency is your RAM at (not your VRAM), are they set to XMP settings and is your infinity fabric at a 1:1 ratio with your RAM frequency?
The base frequency of my RAM is 2133mhz, right now using the XMP Profile im at 3200mhz, I haven't touched my infinity fabric, and im actually going to be honest im not entirely sure how to configure it

Jan 1, 2021
Ok, rules that out. What’s the gpu usage in game when stuttering and are any cpu cores/threads hitting 100%?
None, although when I use multithreaded rendering not all the process are split up correctly and in turn some cores will be used more than others, My gpu runs around 47-50% when I’m playing with a temp of 45 C

Jan 1, 2021

I did end up going to go look and figure out what infinity fabric was and manually set it to 1600 since I am running 3200mhz, it was originally set to auto was it using a different value and was me setting it manually fixing anything

No, 1600 on the infinity fabric is fine, whether auto or manually set doesn't make a difference, as long as it's half the RAM frequency (because DDR stands for double-data rate. so 3200 is double 1600 so it's 1:1 example: 3600MHz RAM should have an infinity fabric of 1800, etc).

So it looks like RAM isn't the issue, and your GPU usage looks normal, especially since I presume you have a 1080p monitor. At 1080p the game offsets a lot of work to the CPU and since you have a 3700X, it would make sense why your GPU is being use less than other peoples (since the 3700X is pretty new), so you might need to look into overclocking your CPU. With Ryzen temps and usage spikes can be an issue at stock settings possibly causing those random spikes, especially with b450 boards (these are budget boards and thus don't have the best voltage regulators, though this is most likely not the root of your issue). I recommend you install Ryzen master and try to control your CPU speeds and voltages. Don't worry about damaging your CPU, the only true way to damage it would be to overvolt it to unsafe voltage levels, such as going past 1.325v or higher.

Here's a guide on how to overclock with ryzen master.

If you can I'd recommend Overclocking in the BIOS over ryzen master, but ryzen master is easier and good to test what levels are most stable with your setup. Please watch how-to guides before proceeding.

Solution
Jan 1, 2021

So it looks like RAM isn't the issue, and your GPU usage looks normal, especially since I presume you have a 1080p monitor. At 1080p the game offsets a lot of work to the CPU and since you have a 3700X, it would make sense why your GPU is being use less than other peoples (since the 3700X is pretty new), so you might need to look into overclocking your CPU. With Ryzen temps and usage spikes can be an issue at stock settings possibly causing those random spikes, especially with b450 boards (these are budget boards and thus don't have the best voltage regulators, though this is most likely not the root of your issue). I recommend you install Ryzen master and try to control your CPU speeds and voltages. Don't worry about damaging your CPU, the only true way to damage it would be to overvolt it to unsafe voltage levels, such as going past 1.325v or higher.

Here's a guide on how to overclock with ryzen master.

If you can I'd recommend Overclocking in the BIOS over ryzen master, but ryzen master is easier and good to test what levels are most stable with your setup. Please watch how-to guides before proceeding.
Thank you so much, ill look into overclocking and make sure to read up on the forums, I do tend to research things thoroughly before applying them, I wanted to make sure that my GPU wasn't the problem because I was comparing results, and if thats true then ill look into CPU overclocking