Question Low Wi-Fi speed on 5Ghz

3antar3

Commendable
May 4, 2021
Hello everyone,

I have 400mbps speed internet, I did a speedtest via ethernet cable there's no problem with the speed it's 400mbps download and 400mbps upload ,
but the problem I have when I check a speedtest via USB adapter WiFi that supports 5Ghz (802.11.ac) I only get 100 to 200mbps like there's a capacity in the speed although the adapter speed is 585mbps
Here you can check what speed I get on speedtest and my adapter link speed

I hope if there's any solution for this problem .

Thanks.

Last edited:

RealBeast

Titan
While you may be able to tweak a little more wireless speed out with placement testing, wireless speeds are never even close to the marketing numbers --- unlike with CAT5/6. HERE are the best performing routers of that sort under lab conditions quite close to the radio.

Lutfij

Titan
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

Make and model of your router? Make and model of your wireless adapter as well? If this is a laptop, include the make and model of your laptop and it's SKU. If this is a PC, include a specs list for the build. If you're on Windows 10, you should ideally be on version 20H2.

3antar3

Commendable
May 4, 2021
While you may be able to tweak a little more wireless speed out with placement testing, wireless speeds are never even close to the marketing numbers --- unlike with CAT5/6. HERE are the best performing routers of that sort under lab conditions quite close to the radio.
Thank you I'll check it out

3antar3

Commendable
May 4, 2021
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

Make and model of your router? Make and model of your wireless adapter as well? If this is a laptop, include the make and model of your laptop and it's SKU. If this is a PC, include a specs list for the build. If you're on Windows 10, you should ideally be on version 20H2.
Hey, it's NOKIA router g-140w-h with (x2) NOKIA beacon 1 extenders
adapter model TP-LINK T4U AC1200
PC (Desktop)
Windows 10 pro version 20h2
OS build 19042.928

Last edited:
Your speeds are in the average range for a router with a 1200 number. The 585 is only kinda a speed number it more represents how the data is encoded. This ignores a lot of overhead in the transmissions and also is greatly affected by wifi being half duplex. It would be like adding the transmit and receive speed together on a ethernet cable and calling it 2gbit.

You most times will well under 1/2 especially as the number and complexity of the encoding increases.

The key thing that 585 says though is you are not getting a really strong signal. It is a 6 out of 9.

Also any form of repeater is going to make your speed much worse. You trade coverage for performance. If you connect directly to the main router wifi it does not have as much effect but just the existence of a repeater will degrade the signal because of the interference it generates. Connecting to the repeater rather than the router will cut your speed by about 1/2 a second time.

3antar3

Commendable
May 4, 2021
Your speeds are in the average range for a router with a 1200 number. The 585 is only kinda a speed number it more represents how the data is encoded. This ignores a lot of overhead in the transmissions and also is greatly affected by wifi being half duplex. It would be like adding the transmit and receive speed together on a ethernet cable and calling it 2gbit.

You most times will well under 1/2 especially as the number and complexity of the encoding increases.

The key thing that 585 says though is you are not getting a really strong signal. It is a 6 out of 9.

Also any form of repeater is going to make your speed much worse. You trade coverage for performance. If you connect directly to the main router wifi it does not have as much effect but just the existence of a repeater will degrade the signal because of the interference it generates. Connecting to the repeater rather than the router will cut your speed by about 1/2 a second time.
Hello thanks for replying,
My info about the number 585mbps is the speed that adapter support not the internet speed also my internet speed is 400mbps , I called the support team today, i told them about the problem
and they send a Tech team trying to solve the problem, they did what you mentioned about the repeaters so they changed thier places to put them far from the router as they said it may cause less disruption for the signal , after they changed the repeaters places they did a speedtest on iphone , the speedtest hits 400mbps always ! and on my devices the speedtest hits only 100 to 200mbps
i can't understand how did that happened ! and they can't solve the problem ,

Is the problem from the devices that i have ? although most of them supports 5ghz signal protocol (802.11ac)
and the speed that I know for the protocol I mentioned above is at least 433mbps , so i doubt that it's devices problem

Anyway thanks again for replying.

Last edited:

InvalidError

Titan
The problem with WiFi is that different combinations of WiFi equipment works very differently from one to the next. The tech's iPhone may simply have better compatibility with the router and range extender than your WiFi adapter.

If your PC is syncing to the extender instead of directly to the router, the extender may be a significant bottleneck since it has to either back-haul your 5G connection over 2.4G to the router or split its 5G time between talking with your PC and talking with the router. It makes sense that you would lose roughly half of the throughput (on top of the other half already lost to protocol overheads) there.

3antar3

Commendable
May 4, 2021
The problem with WiFi is that different combinations of WiFi equipment works very differently from one to the next. The tech's iPhone may simply have better compatibility with the router and range extender than your WiFi adapter.

If your PC is syncing to the extender instead of directly to the router, the extender may be a significant bottleneck since it has to either back-haul your 5G connection over 2.4G to the router or split its 5G time between talking with your PC and talking with the router. It makes sense that you would lose roughly half of the throughput (on top of the other half already lost to protocol overheads) there.
I did a speedtest multiple times right next to the router, also I turned off the extender, it doesn't fix the problem

May 21, 2021
what country are you living in? I am currently troubleshooting TP-Link, Asus, & Xiaomi Routers in Indonesia. I have tried Multiple routers from tplink including Archer C80 and Archer A6. I'm currently using Asus RT-AC59U and I'm having the same problem with all the routers which is that i only can connect using 20mhz channel width. I have reported the problem to TP link and Asus currently waiting for response.