[SOLVED] Lower/fluctuating FPS with good hardware ?

Oct 3, 2021
I've got a pretty good PC and in many different games I'm getting below 200fps (hovering 120 most of the time) when I've got a 280hz monitor. I just wanna be able to get the FPS my monitor can output. I've got an i7-11700K, 3080 Ti, and 64 GB DDR4 2133 MHz RAM (it's 3200 but it's being underclocked by default, XMP profile doesn't work for some reason, assuming CPU limited).

I've tried on these games: League of Legends, Rocket League, Doom Eternal, Overwatch, RDR2, Valorant, Apex Legends, Aim Lab, CSGO, Cyberpunk, and No Man's Sky.

Only in Doom Eternal and RDR2 (Vulkan API) did my resources go to 100%, every other game maxes out below 50% usage and doesn't get the most FPS possible. It's not an obvious CPU bottleneck because none of my threads are maxing out alone.

I'd hate to hear that it's "just a game issue" considering some of these are considered competitive shooters and I'm getting below 200 fps which doesn't make sense since I got more FPS with a 2080 Ti and i7-8700k. The settings are as high as they can be on all games. I've tried them all at low. Still getting sub 50% usage on both GPU and CPU.

If any more info is needed, just lmk.

Edit: RAM model is: Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB (4x16GB) 3200MHz C16 DDR4 ; Mobo is AORUS MASTER Z590 .

Edit 2: I tried taking 2 sticks out so the XMP profile would work for 3200MHz (16GB x 2) and did some testing. Getting the same issue even at a higher speed.

Last edited:
Solution
It's AORUS MASTER Z590.
try this step by step (read until end):
  • Disconnect from internet
  • Uninstall gpu driver DDU (clean and do not restart).
  • Uninstall all the processors and chipset on device manager (should be 16 on yours, also when it asks for restart, click on no) like this:
    unknown.png

Chipset (ignore if there is none):
    unknown.png
  • Restart the pc to bios, and update to the latest bios. Then go to bios again after update and load default or optimized settings.

• boot up to windows and install the latest Chipset driver and...
I've got a pretty good PC and in many different games I'm getting below 200fps (hovering 120 most of the time) when I've got a 280hz monitor. I just wanna be able to get the FPS my monitor can output. I've got an i7-11700K, 3080 Ti, and 64 GB DDR4 2133 MHz RAM (it's 3200 but it's being underclocked by default, XMP profile doesn't work for some reason, assuming CPU limited).

I've tried on these games: League of Legends, Rocket League, Doom Eternal, Overwatch, RDR2, Valorant, Apex Legends, Aim Lab, CSGO, Cyberpunk, and No Man's Sky.

Only in Doom Eternal and RDR2 (Vulkan API) did my resources go to 100%, every other game maxes out below 50% usage and doesn't get the most FPS possible. It's not an obvious CPU bottleneck because none of my threads are maxing out alone.

I'd hate to hear that it's "just a game issue" considering some of these are considered competitive shooters and I'm getting below 200 fps which doesn't make sense since I got more FPS with a 2080 Ti and i7-8700k. The settings are as high as they can be on all games. I've tried them all at low. Still getting sub 50% usage on both GPU and CPU.

If any more info is needed, just lmk.
what is the motherboard? model and details.

Oct 3, 2021
Tell us more about the RAM? 2133mhz will hurt performance. Was this a single 64gb kit or separate kits? Is it 4x8gb or something else?

Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB (4x16GB) 3200MHz C16 DDR4 downclocked to 2133MHz because the system crashes at 3200MHz, I'm assuming CPU limitations. I've got 850W PSU so it's not power restrictions for sure.

It's AORUS MASTER Z590.
try this step by step (read until end):
  • Disconnect from internet
  • Uninstall gpu driver DDU (clean and do not restart).
  • Uninstall all the processors and chipset on device manager (should be 16 on yours, also when it asks for restart, click on no) like this:
    unknown.png

Chipset (ignore if there is none):
    unknown.png
  • Restart the pc to bios, and update to the latest bios. Then go to bios again after update and load default or optimized settings.

• boot up to windows and install the latest Chipset driver and Serial IO, reboot, and connect to internet.

• Install the latest nvidia driver.

*do this all offline until reboot after installing chipset driver, also you may reboot to bios after all of this to set the XMP (and previous settings you did). Download needed files (highlighted word) before doing step 1, do the step by orders.

• And check windows update (and optional updates) if there is any and install them (except chipset in optional update). Also enable Hardware Accelerated Graphics Scheduling (available on the latest win 10 update) in graphics settings like this and reboot:
    unknown.png
Make sure the psu connected to the gpu is 1 pcie cable per 1 slot (use main cable, not the branches/split) like this:
unknown.png

Solution