Question Lower FPS After New GPU?

Hilarity

Reputable
Jul 6, 2019
Hi all and thanks for the help. I am very much a computer noob so any advice is greatly appreciated!

I recently installed a Geforce RTX 2070 Super because for some reason, while playing just League of Legends on all low settings, I was getting very occasional frame drops during team fights with my Geforce GTX 1070 Ti. After installing the new GPU, I used Geforce Experience and installed the newest "Geforce Game Ready Driver" I've always kept this up to date on a bi-monthly basis.

At this point, I had a session of League and I wasn't experiencing any differences or improvements in terms of FPS, I also still dropped frames during one fight in the session. Though it's not a big deal, I'd expect zero drops in a game like league from this relatively good GPU. So I decided to duck into Nvidia Control Panel and make some changes the next day.

In hindsight, I should have tracked all the changes I made because I can't remember everything I did exactly. What I can remember is,
  1. In Nvidia Control Panel, I turned V-sync from "App-Based" to "Off".
  2. In Nvidia Control Panel, I turned the "G-sync" setting on for my monitor which is apparently compatible.
  3. In my monitor's settings, I turned "Adaptive Sync" On.
  4. I double checked my frequency settings, I've always had 144Hz and GPU settings so that was good.

At this point, I started a game in League and my FPS was dying, it felt very laggy and was at a constant 70-80 dropping to 40-50 when doing anything in the game. Pretty much unplayable. I tried to search up some solutions and made some changes to my RAM speeds (apparently that would help).

1. I went into BIOS and turned XMP Profile 1 on for my RAM
  2. I changed my DRAM speed from "Auto" to "DDR-2400"

FPS still committing suicide. At this point I was wondering if maybe my motherboard couldn't handle the new GPU, so I put my old one back in. Same FPS dying.

I monitored my computer components throughout this entire process using task manager Performance Tab and MSI afterburner. Nothing really appeared out of the ordinary, usages for all components were low and as low as they've always been when I had a constant 120FPS with occasional drops with my old set up days ago.

Would also like to note that I've tried other games that I would think to be graphics intensive. I tried Little Nightmares and Hollow Knight and both were running at 200FPS with no lag or issues at all. I "Imitated Full Repair" in the League client and even re-installed it and tested in between.

I've since reset every change I've made since I started experiencing the really bad FPS, resetting everything to default in Nvidia Control Panel and BIOS. Still league is unplayable now. I haven't put the new GPU back in.

I have not tried using a DDU to uninstall my old drivers and reinstall new ones when putting the 2070 in. It didn't seem I needed to do so since I was going from GeForce to GeForce. Also the 2070 super was working before I made small changes. But I could try this if you all think it would help.

Here is my user benchmark test that includes relevant specs:
https://www.userbenchmark.com/UserRun/50873091

Thanks again for any help/advice!

DSzymborski

Titan
What are the temperatures? It's obvious from that basic benchmark that something is going very wrong with the CPU. It's not boosting properly at all -- smells like throttling -- and you were already going to have below-average performance with glacially slow RAM for Ryzen where most people on userbenchmark are going to be using faster RAM.

Hilarity

Reputable
Jul 6, 2019
What are the temperatures? It's obvious from that basic benchmark that something is going very wrong with the CPU. It's not boosting properly at all -- smells like throttling -- and you were already going to have below-average performance with glacially slow RAM for Ryzen where most people on userbenchmark are going to be using faster RAM.

Yeah I have no idea what's going on with my CPU. What is throttling? My 1070ti temp typically falls around 55 Celsius. I remember when I was testing with little nightmares yesterday it went up to 74C. I'm not sure how to show you the temperatures of my other components if you're asking for those.

Is my RAM glacially slow? Hahaha. All I know is everything I had was good enough until whatever I did.

Hilarity

Reputable
Jul 6, 2019
Oh, I should also add that I had turned the Processor Power Management>Minimum Processor State>Setting to 97% under my windows Power Options > Advanced Settings as suggested by my friend. I've since changed it back to 100%.
Don't use this forum often and it isn't letting me send gyazo screenshots... otherwise I'd show those.

Hilarity

Reputable
Jul 6, 2019
Hi all, I've done some digging and looked into thermal throttling.
I ran both little nightmares and league on my computer and the temperature of my CPU isn't anything crazy, it stays around 40C.

Since og post I've
  1. Dusted my CPU.
  2. Found online some way to turn off some windows setting that limited my clock speed (going into to registry editor and turning AMDPPM Start from 3 to 4 and now my CPU is running at base speed
https://www.userbenchmark.com/UserRun/50879405

But I'm still getting the same problem of abysmal FPS when I start a league custom game.
I realize benchmark is saying my CPU sucks but I'd have to think it isn't my CPU that's causing this particular problem. I haven't changed anything with my CPU over the weekend and I never had crazy FPS problems as drastic as this while running league / overwatch / apex / fortnite.. anything really until now.

My GPU averages about 55C with low utilization when running league and its stuttery as all hell with all low settings. It averages 75C with almost 100% utilization while running little nightmares, but it's smooth and beautiful with ultra settings.
I really have no idea what to do at this point!