"Lower" FPS in GMod

apcs13

Honorable
Oct 2, 2013
I feel pretty rediculous asking this question, but hear me out. Today I was playing GMod and decided to use FRAPS to see how high of a framerate I would get on my new rig with a GTX 770 and FX-6350 while playing with my friends. However, my framerate was "only" (this Is why I feel rediculous) 90-130 FPS with all settings maxed, 8xAA, 16xAF, 85 degrees FoV,while a benchmark showed a 770 averaging 204 fps.

I just assumed that his was due to the i5 CPU they used, the small map with not much going on, and the less refined visuals of standard GMod not TTT, but my friend playing yhe same match on the same server with the same CPU clocked .2 GHz slower and a 7870 GPU said he was getting 180-200 FPS with the same settings except for FoV.

Honestly I could care less that I'm not getting 200 FPS all the time, I just want to know if one of my parts is not performing up to expectations in my new build. Thanks for replies!

There's a lot of variables beyond the CPU / GPU, he might have more RAM, maybe Radeon drivers are better optimized for that particular game, the FOV might be having a bigger impact than you think (if his FOV is smaller that means less objects to be render thus achieving higher FPS), also there's the background processes interfering etc etc.

As for whether your pc is delivering or not what it's supposed to deliver, only way to find out is to make several benchmarks and compare them with another identical build...

apcs13

Honorable
Oct 2, 2013

We have the same exact build minus HDD and GPU and CPU overclocking, which is by a small amount. Maybe the FoV made a difference, but playing on another map with a similar amount of action I was around 250 FPS, so now I'm not sure. Hoewver it was undoubtedly less intense, so I can't be sure.

apcs13

Honorable
Oct 2, 2013

We have the same exact build minus HDD and GPU and CPU overclocking, which is by a small amount. Maybe the FoV made a difference, but playing on another map with a similar amount of action I was around 250 FPS, so now I'm not sure. Hoewver it was undoubtedly less intense, so I can't be sure.