Question Lower gaming performance than expected

Apr 13, 2024
I recently upgraded to an RTX 4060ti 16gb and I don’t think my pc is performing as what would be expected for its components.

I mainly notice this on the game “Escape From Tarkov “ which was the reason I decided to upgrade as even after trying different settings I’m still averaging 50 fps which seems quite low.

What can I do to check if something is wrong with a specific component? I’m suspicious of RAM but I have performed the windows diagnostic and nothing came up. What could be causing this low performance?

Here is the full build: ( apart from the gpu that I just upgraded (from a 2060 that was performing just as good…) everything else is around 1,5 years old bought new)

- Intel Core i7 12700K 12-Core (3.6GHz-5.0GHz) 25MB Skt1700
- Nvidia RTX 4060ti 16gb
- Cooler CPU Jonsbo HX6250 Preto - 140mm (LGA 1700)
- Motherboard MSI MAG B660M MORTAR WIFI DDR4
- Corsair Kit 32GB (2 x 16GB) DDR4 3600MHz Vengeance RGB Pro SL Black CL18
- SSD Samsung 870 QVO 1TB SATA III (x2)
- Modular Corsair RM 750X (2021) 80+ Gold

Lutfij

Titan
Modular Corsair RM 750X (2021) 80+ Gold
How old is your PSU? 1.5 years?

Motherboard MSI MAG B660M MORTAR WIFI DDR4
BIOS version for your motherboard?

I recently upgraded to an RTX 4060ti 16gb
Did you use DDU to remove all GPU drivers(Intel, AMD and Nvidia) then manually installed the latest driver for your GPU from Nvidia's support site in an elevated command?

Apr 13, 2024
Modular Corsair RM 750X (2021) 80+ Gold
How old is your PSU? 1.5 years?

Motherboard MSI MAG B660M MORTAR WIFI DDR4
BIOS version for your motherboard?

I recently upgraded to an RTX 4060ti 16gb
Did you use DDU to remove all GPU drivers(Intel, AMD and Nvidia) then manually installed the latest driver for your GPU from Nvidia's support site in an elevated command?

My PSU was bought new in August 2022.

BIOS version is 1.70

I did remove the drivers from the old GPU and installed the latest for the new one. Also just re-installed today the drivers for the GPU just to make sure.

35below0

Respectable
Jan 3, 2024
Tarkov is pretty demanding. The 4060 Ti is still a low end GPU. 50fps is not that bad.

You can use HWMonitor to keep an eye on CPU usage and temperatures while gaming. Maybe the CPU is throttling.

Your components are really not bad, except maybe the CPU cooler. How is the performance in other games? Below expectations?

Apr 13, 2024
Tarkov is pretty demanding. The 4060 Ti is still a low end GPU. 50fps is not that bad.

You can use HWMonitor to keep an eye on CPU usage and temperatures while gaming. Maybe the CPU is throttling.

Your components are really not bad, except maybe the CPU cooler. How is the performance in other games? Below expectations?
You were right with your guess about the CPU throttling. It is definitely what is causing the issues with the low performance as it is constantly throttling when I'm on the game. Does this mean there is a defect on the CPU cooler? Is it not good enough to do the job?

35below0

Respectable
Jan 3, 2024
You were right with your guess about the CPU throttling. It is definitely what is causing the issues with the low performance as it is constantly throttling when I'm on the game. Does this mean there is a defect on the CPU cooler? Is it not good enough to do the job?
It's more complicated than that because mothrboard power profiles are also involved. All CPUs throttle, the question is does it affect performance?
There may be other processes running, robbing the PC of some performance.

The cooler is not a bad one. It's maybe noisier but it can do the job, or should at least.
A ThermalRight Phantom Spirit EVO, or Peerless Assassin would be an inexpensive upgrade. Those are top of the range air coolers.

What is the temperature when playing Tarkov or other games?
How quickly does the CPU overheat? Instantly or does it take time? 5 minutes? 30?
What is the ambient temperature? Do you live in a hot place?
Maybe thermal paste is poorly made or poorly applied.

Apr 13, 2024
It's more complicated than that because mothrboard power profiles are also involved. All CPUs throttle, the question is does it affect performance?
There may be other processes running, robbing the PC of some performance.

The cooler is not a bad one. It's maybe noisier but it can do the job, or should at least.
A ThermalRight Phantom Spirit EVO, or Peerless Assassin would be an inexpensive upgrade. Those are top of the range air coolers.

What is the temperature when playing Tarkov or other games?
How quickly does the CPU overheat? Instantly or does it take time? 5 minutes? 30?
What is the ambient temperature? Do you live in a hot place?
Maybe thermal paste is poorly made or poorly applied.
It doesn't seem like it could be something else robbing the performance, I've also tried closing everything possible before but didn't help.

The temperature hits 100ºC pretty much as soon as I start playing and goes down to normal temperatures when I'm not in the game. I don't really play other games that are as heavy as Tarkov so I don't notice the performance issues on them that much.
The ambient temperature shouldn't be an issue either, it's around 22/23ºC.
I have made a 1 minute stress test on the CPU with Intel Tuning Utility and it throttled throughout the entire minute so something has to be wrong.
I've ordered some cleaning wipes and thermal paste (MX-6) and will try applying it again to see if it gets better.

Reactions: 35below0