Question Lower internet speeds than expected

christofferskr

Reputable
Dec 19, 2019
I'm using a 30m long cable that is running on the outside of my house. Its a UV-shielded cable meant for outside use. I've gone through 3-4 cables over the last couples of years. The first two cables started giving me time outs and high ping in games along with lower speeds. The cable I'm using now still gives me low ping and no time outs, however I'm getting lower speeds. In my adapter settings it says 100mbps max. I'm using a gigabit cable. The cable is only a few months old and has been working properly until a couple weeks ago. It's the excact same thing i experienced with my last cable that I made myself. I have no clue to why the cable suddenly cant do gigabit speeds anymore.

I have Intels ProSet adapter config utility installed. I cant run a cable test with it but I can run a connection test which gives me this error: ""Cable Link Status : Failed
Link speed: 100Mbps. The link partner is not capable of higher speeds."

That is strange that you get that much failed cable, outdoor cable is pretty tough stuff.

I assume the other end plugs into your router and the router has gigabit lan ports ?

So if you put the ends on the cable yourself it is likely something just got loose or if it never worked then a wire likely is not crimped right. It is not likely the wire itself it tends one of the ends. You could buy one of those simple testing tools but even if it shows a issue it won't tell you which end is wrong. The meters that can do very good testing are too costly even for some pros that do not do a lot of lan cables.

I would use keystone on any cable that is kinda permanent. They make ones that go into both wall plates or small wall mounted boxes that you can stick to wall with double stick tape. Keystone allow you cut off the wire are reterminate it and since you do 1 wire at time it is simpler to get it correct. Many of the modern ones do not need a special punch down tool.

Be sure your cable is pure copper and not CCA. CCA cable is not certified for ethernet use and the ends tend to work loose over time beause of the expansion rates difference between copper and aluminum. The other concern would be the wire size, it needs to be between 22-24 awg but I have never seen that crappy flat cable they sell with a outdoor rating.

christofferskr

Reputable
Dec 19, 2019
My router has gigabit lan ports. I used to get gigabit speed or it would say the cable supported gigbait speeds, but now it says it only supports 100mbps. The cable I'm using now i did not terminate myself, it came already terminated. (I terminated the last cable I had myself).

Assuming all the ports are gigabit and set to auto there is very little else it can be than a bad cable. I mean you could have bad ports but that can't really be fixed and is very rare.

Assuming the standard wire pattern/colors it means ether the blue or brown pair has a issue.