Question Lower than expected performance

HALIFAX3

Reputable
Apr 24, 2019
Hi, first time poster long time visitor. I just replaced an rx480 with a Vega 56 gpu. Red dragon to be exact. I feel the performance boost isn’t what it should be. When I run in game benchmarks the gpu is not @ 100%. CPU sometimes spikes up to 70+%.

Build info:
Ryzen 1600x
3000mhz 16gb EVGA ram @ 2966mhz
Rm750i psu
Vega 56 red dragon
B450 fatality itx mobo

Lutfij

Titan
Did you uninstall your previous GPU drivers with DDU, before removing the RX 480? You should ideally reinstall the GPU drivers with the latest off AMD's support site after you've dropped in the new GPU. For added measure, make sure your BIOS for the motherboard is up to date.

You forgot to include the names of the games you've taxed the system with the new GPU, with...? Please don't include an etc in this sentence.

HALIFAX3

Reputable
Apr 24, 2019
I did not remove old drivers prior to the gpu change. I did, however update the AMD driver. Also the mobo is running the most current bios. Mainly the games I play are Division 2, COD ww2, Company of heroes, diablo 3, Overwatch, resident evil 2, Battlefield 5, really just a smorgasbord.

Some games are graphics limited and some are cpu limited.
With 12 threads for your 1600X, and a cpu utilization of 70% I suspect you have a cpu bottleneck.
The 70% utilization you see is windows spreading out the activity of all of your threads among the 12 available.
You are likely being limited by the performance of the single master thread.
Can you overclock a bit?
Does that help?