[SOLVED] Lowering 3080 power limit with Afterburner

Feb 17, 2022
Im looking to lower the power limit on my 3080(or undervolt it-are they the same thing?) to try and solve power spikes that my 850 EVGA PSU cant seem to handle, which causes my computer to freeze. First of all, would doing this even help? Im at my wits end and cant seem to find any way to do this on MSI afterburner. Secondly, how would i go about this? is it even possible rn to do it via afterburner? Thank you

Solution
The power limiter option in MSI Afterburner is on the main screen as a slider. You have to make sure to press the "Apply" button for it to actually take effect. If you want to undervolt, it takes more effort to do, and it's mostly to achieve higher efficiency with the part.

Though given what you describe, you may also want to consider a new PSU.
The power limiter option in MSI Afterburner is on the main screen as a slider. You have to make sure to press the "Apply" button for it to actually take effect. If you want to undervolt, it takes more effort to do, and it's mostly to achieve higher efficiency with the part.

Though given what you describe, you may also want to consider a new PSU.

Solution
Feb 17, 2022
is that under the fan section in Afterburner? Or do I just have something different with my Afterburner. And yes id like to get a new PSU, do you believe a 1000 watt would suffice or should I try for a 1200 watt given these issues? And thank you for replying so fast

is that under the fan section in Afterburner? Or do I just have something different with my Afterburner. And yes id like to get a new PSU, do you believe a 1000 watt would suffice or should I try for a 1200 watt given these issues? And thank you for replying so fast
It depends on the skin you're using. But it's a slider in any case.

Also wattage may not matter if you don't get a quality power supply. Go have a look at the stickied topics in the Power Supply forum to see what to look for.

EDIT: Of note, NVIDIA recommends 750W minimum.

WallysWorld

Reputable
Aug 28, 2019
I just got a Gigabyte RTX 3080 Ti Gaming OC card and find that my computer will sometimes freeze under very heavy load with my Seasonic Focus Plus Gold 850W PSU. I assume that is the issue as I've read that power spikes cause the issue with those PSU's.

Anyway before I decide to get a new PSU, I undervolted the 3080 Ti down to 0.850V and with a 1845 Mhz clock speed and haven't had an issue since. Before the 3080 Ti would reach almost 370W under a benchmark and now it tops out at 345W under the same benchmark.

I benchmarked using Heaven and TimeSpy and almost get the same scores as the card did at the default settings with maybe a 1% lower score.