Lowering GPU any benefit

a22shady

Reputable
Mar 4, 2015
Hey guys I was looking at my system and wondered if I was to move my video card GTX 970 lower (currently is Slot 1) so move it to another slot away from processor do you think this would make any benefit for cooling either?

My temps in case are fine with no issues at least I don't think. My CPU is still stock on cooler master 280 watercolor. have corsair 750D 2 bottom / 2 front intake fans 1 back exhaust and 2 exhaust for radiator. Idle cpu temps 36-38c highest when messing around or playing a game that I seen was mid 40's when it was OC at 4.6 stress test 1 hour high 60's... GPU seems to be warm 48-50C but fans don't even turn on till it reaches 60C checked with EVGA that's the way its supposed to work

So anyway was just wondering if anyone here has thought about or has done same and if they noticed any difference in temps with gpu or cpu. Also did or would this affect the graphics in anyway? I know they say single card is supposed to be slot 1 but...

Thanks for help

Solution
It wouldn't make any difference performance wise. And I don't think there'd be any noticeable temp differences either.

Just swap it over and see how it goes.
"if I was to move my video card GTX 970 lower (currently is Slot 1) so move it to another slot away from processor do you think this would make any benefit for cooling either?" - no. the next slot will probably be an x8 slot so it should still work OK

Post your build - motherboard?

The gtx will get hotter than the CPU. Your CPU temps seem OK.

a22shady

Reputable
Mar 4, 2015

Corsair 750D 5 Case fans (3x140 --2x120)
Asus X99 Pro MB
I7 5820K - 280L water cooler
EVGA GTX970
Corsair 4x4 DDR4

I was just curious if snyone else had done it and if it made any difference, also wasn't sure about using another slot Manual says single card use slot 1 but I couldn't find any info online if it would really make a difference as other slots are x16 as well. but thanks for info

a22shady

Reputable
Mar 4, 2015

Thanks for the help, Your probably right and I was thinking half that and then like ehh maybe. but Ill leave it. thanks for help

a22shady

Reputable
Mar 4, 2015

It is, well better be haha just built the system last week. I also ordered the backplate as it didn't come with one and I heard that it helps with stability for the card and can lower temp..