[SOLVED] Lowering monitor resolution to achieve 144hz on HDMI 1.4

ManasH_

Commendable
Jan 1, 2017
Hey guys, I have recently bought a 144hz monitor(ACER KG241Q P) with HDMI 2.0 input whereas my laptop(ASUS FX504GE) has HDMI 1.4 output. So I'm limited to 120hz. Would it be safe to lower the monitor resolution to say 1384x900 (cause i use this stretched resolution in my game) so that the overall bandwidth through the HDMI cable remains below the capped(?) bandwidth. It's not overclocking, is it?
There's a calculator posted in LinusTechTips for finding out the bandwidth for a certain resolution at a given frequency.
I'm posting the bandwidths it calculated below:

ResolutionCalculated bandwidth
1920*1080 @ 120hz with timing format CVT-RB6.85 Gbit/s
1384*900 @ 144hz with timing format CVT-RB5.14 Gbit/s

I'll be changing my custom resolution through Intel Graphics Command Center since I'm in a laptop and there's no option to change it in Nvidia control panel.
So, as it shows the custom resolution uses lesser bandwidth than the default 1080p @ 120hz. Would it be safe to set the custom resolution without damaging my monitor?

Solution
By default, monitor is set to 1080p 120hz. Some monitor manufacturers cap the maximum refresh rate through HDMI 1.4 at 120hz for 1080p. So, if I try to increase to 1080p 144hz won't it be like overclocking (which I don't want to)? I don't want to break my monitor so soon. It's less than 14 days old.

If you don't want to, then don't :) But based on your original post you seemed to believe the limitation was coming from the GPU.
Hey guys, I have recently bought a 144hz monitor(ACER KG241Q P) with HDMI 2.0 input whereas my laptop(ASUS FX504GE) has HDMI 1.4 output. So I'm limited to 120hz.

In which case if the monitor supports 1080p 144 Hz over HDMI then you should be able to get it with a custom resolution.

So, if I...

ManasH_

Commendable
Jan 1, 2017
Have you tried setting a custom resolution for 1080p 144 Hz? Your hardware should be capable of it.

By default, monitor is set to 1080p 120hz. Some monitor manufacturers cap the maximum refresh rate through HDMI 1.4 at 120hz for 1080p. So, if I try to increase to 1080p 144hz won't it be like overclocking (which I don't want to)? I don't want to break my monitor so soon. It's less than 14 days old.

If you don't want to, then don't :) But based on your original post you seemed to believe the limitation was coming from the GPU.
Hey guys, I have recently bought a 144hz monitor(ACER KG241Q P) with HDMI 2.0 input whereas my laptop(ASUS FX504GE) has HDMI 1.4 output. So I'm limited to 120hz.

In which case if the monitor supports 1080p 144 Hz over HDMI then you should be able to get it with a custom resolution.

So, if I try to increase to 1080p 144hz won't it be like overclocking (which I don't want to)? I don't want to break my monitor so soon.

It is unlikely you would break a monitor with a custom resolution, worst case scenario it will just reject the signal. But it's up to you, if you don't want to.

Solution
as you quoted the extra 24fps won't help, actually it helps even to small extent. I just want to maximise the full potential of my monitor.
It actually doesn't help. The vast majority of people if they want to admit it or not aren't better with a 144Hz panel over a 60 one it only gives you an advantage on high frame rate FPS against someone on equal connection with equal skill (so esports players at events not normal people connecting to a server), a ping difference of over like 10 will more than wipe out any refresh rate you can buy. And most people struggle telling the difference between 120 and 144 anyway.