Question Lowering Oc heat

Feb 20, 2019
Hi all,

last year I bought a 8700k with the intend to start OC'ing. For the fun of it. The cpu is fast enough as it is for my purposes (gaming).

After reading commonly known articles, this forum and watching YouTube I started changing my adventure. :)

Any way, I decided to start with all settings from der8auer form the yt "ASUS MAXIMUS X HERO - Overclocking Test and Guide 8700K (en)" but set avx offset to 1 instead of 3.
I chose his settings as I think these are all the max changes to allow full-on OC'ing.

If I set the cpu multiplier to 48 and run cinebench, prime95 (latest), prime95 (26.6) and asus real bench all is well with the benchmark and stress testing. Temps with stress testing go up to 85 average and sometimes peak to 95. Bench temps are around 80-85. If I set the kraken to performance mode instead of silent mode the tests drop like 5 degrees. No stability issues.

If I set the cpu multiplier to 50, smallfft prime95 (latest) hits 100 degrees immediately, prime95(26.6) 90-95 with blue screen in 30 seconds and realbench stresstest 95 (1 min run -> aborted). A cinebench run complets with a 90 spike also the prime95(26.6) benchmark runs around 85 degrees. Strangely enough setting kraken to performance doesn't do much for the temps.

Here is the question, what should I do next:

a) Try with different (lower) vcore settings
b) set AI overclock tuner to manual and tinker with settings
c) Try different LLC levels
d) Renew thermal paste

Each option costs a night to tinker and my time is limited. I am not convinced yet that 48 is my lottery outcome. :) I'm OC'ing for the fun, that's why I want to hit 50, not interested if 49 is an option.

Also I was able to set my CPU Core/Cache Current Limit Max to 255.75 as in most cases the max is 255.50. Is that a strange thing?

My setup:

Intel Core i7-8700K
Asus ROG Maximus X Hero
Asus ROG Strix GeForce RTX 2080 OC Gaming
Corsair Premium Individually Sleeved PSU Cable Kit Pro Package, Type 4 (Generation 3) White
NZXT S340 Elite White
NZXT Internal USB Hub
NZXT HUE+ Extension Kit
NZXT Kraken X62 (with AM4 support)
NZXT Aer RGB120 Starter Pack
G.Skill Trident Z RGB F4-3200C14Q-32GTZR
Corsair HX850 V2
Samsung 850 Pro 512GB
Samsung 960 Pro 1TB

Used Arctic Cooling MX 4 High Performance a year ago.

Feb 2, 2019
Hi all,

last year I bought a 8700k with the intend to start OC'ing. For the fun of it. The cpu is fast enough as it is for my purposes (gaming).

After reading commonly known articles, this forum and watching YouTube I started changing my adventure. :)

Any way, I decided to start with all settings from der8auer form the yt "ASUS MAXIMUS X HERO - Overclocking Test and Guide 8700K (en)" but set avx offset to 1 instead of 3.
I chose his settings as I think these are all the max changes to allow full-on OC'ing.

If I set the cpu multiplier to 48 and run cinebench, prime95 (latest), prime95 (26.6) and asus real bench all is well with the benchmark and stress testing. Temps with stress testing go up to 85 average and sometimes peak to 95. Bench temps are around 80-85. If I set the kraken to performance mode instead of silent mode the tests drop like 5 degrees. No stability issues.

If I set the cpu multiplier to 50, smallfft prime95 (latest) hits 100 degrees immediately, prime95(26.6) 90-95 with blue screen in 30 seconds and realbench stresstest 95 (1 min run -> aborted). A cinebench run complets with a 90 spike also the prime95(26.6) benchmark runs around 85 degrees. Strangely enough setting kraken to performance doesn't do much for the temps.

Here is the question, what should I do next:

a) Try with different (lower) vcore settings
b) set AI overclock tuner to manual and tinker with settings
c) Try different LLC levels
d) Renew thermal paste

Each option costs a night to tinker and my time is limited. I am not convinced yet that 48 is my lottery outcome. :) I'm OC'ing for the fun, that's why I want to hit 50, not interested if 49 is an option.

Also I was able to set my CPU Core/Cache Current Limit Max to 255.75 as in most cases the max is 255.50. Is that a strange thing?

My setup:

Intel Core i7-8700K
Asus ROG Maximus X Hero
Asus ROG Strix GeForce RTX 2080 OC Gaming
Corsair Premium Individually Sleeved PSU Cable Kit Pro Package, Type 4 (Generation 3) White
NZXT S340 Elite White
NZXT Internal USB Hub
NZXT HUE+ Extension Kit
NZXT Kraken X62 (with AM4 support)
NZXT Aer RGB120 Starter Pack
G.Skill Trident Z RGB F4-3200C14Q-32GTZR
Corsair HX850 V2
Samsung 850 Pro 512GB
Samsung 960 Pro 1TB

Used Arctic Cooling MX 4 High Performance a year ago.
those temps are pretty high

Feb 2, 2019
i have a i7 6700k and i use a corsair h100i pro rgb and at stock i idle at 16c and max at 49c. i can overclock to 4.9ghz stable at 1.50 volts and my idle is 28c and max temp is 58c. i did have a problem a month ago my temps were doing exactly what urs is and come to find out the pump in my h100 v2 was going out. got this cooler put it on and problem solved. temps dropped.

Feb 2, 2019
i also had a problem with the bracket that holds the cpu into the socket was bent a little. not sure how. anyways it caused my heatsink to not sit flush againsy the cpu. causing my temps to spike also. i put a new bracket on. and never had a problem again. i took a long razor blade and sat it across the cpu and over the bracket. the cpu should sit up higher the the bracket so the heatsink can sit flush. just thought id throw that out there also so u can check it out

Feb 20, 2019
i also had a problem with the bracket that holds the cpu into the socket was bent a little. not sure how. anyways it caused my heatsink to not sit flush againsy the cpu. causing my temps to spike also. i put a new bracket on. and never had a problem again. i took a long razor blade and sat it across the cpu and over the bracket. the cpu should sit up higher the the bracket so the heatsink can sit flush. just thought id throw that out there also so u can check it out

Was thinking about checking the paste and the bracket position this weekend.