[SOLVED] Lowering PSU Lifespan......OR.....Wearing Out PSU Fan Sooner ?

worstalentscout

Distinguished
Nov 1, 2016
hi,

i've got a PSU (Superflower Leadex III Gold 550w) with Eco setting whereby the PSU fan will spin from 42 degrees celsius onwards OR i can have the fan spin all the time...........the fan has Dynamic Fluid Bearing, so would it be better/necessary to have the fan spin all the time ?................i don't play games at all and the PC is never running more than 3 hours without being put to sleep..........the room temperature is at least 30 degrees celsius.........

i'm tempted to have the fan spin all the time to prolong PSU lifespan.............but worried the fan might wear out quickly...........

Solution
A psu fan is there to protect the psu from overheating.
A gold rated psu does not heat up much unless it is under full load.
The fan is unlikely to need to spin if you leave it in ECO mode.
Then, also, your psu is a quality unit has a 10 year warranty.
Worry about other things.

Reactions: AntonyLovric
Solution

worstalentscout

Distinguished
Nov 1, 2016
What does the PSU power? How old is that unit at this moment of time? It might seem irrelevant but how is the PSU oriented in your chassis, fan facing up or down? Make and model of your case?

I'd side with Eco mode.

i don't play games so low power CPU (Ryzen 3200G) + 2 x 8GB RAM + 2 SATA SSDs + 2 case fans..................PSU is over 3 months old ..............PSU mounted at bottom with fan facing down........

Pretty much pure speculation.

The fan could fail any time for any reason.

The PSU could fail any time with heat having nothing to do with it.

If the fan were to fail, you probably would not replace just the fan.

30 Celsius is quite hot.

i live in the tropics so 30 degrees celsius is normal ............very humid too

yes, the fan doesn't spin at all even under the lower temperature ECO mode (42 degrees celsius)................the local distributor only offer 5 year warranty though.............

worstalentscout

Distinguished
Nov 1, 2016
As do we all.

It will die when it dies.
Trying to game it either way is pointless.

yes, what you say is too true.................by the way..............

i have a spare SSD (500GB) (with Windows 7 still on it) connected to my PC's USB port via SATA to USB adapter........i left it connected and didn't ''eject'' it over 1 day........and the free space went from under 190GB to 350GB.............surprisingly all my documents, pictures and videos were still there............... could this be due to garbage collection ?? :??:

USAFRet

Titan

i have a spare SSD (500GB) (with Windows 7 still on it) connected to my PC's USB port via SATA to USB adapter........i left it connected and didn't ''eject'' it over 1 day........and the free space went from under 190GB to 350GB.............surprisingly all my documents, pictures and videos were still there............... could this be due to garbage collection ?? :??:
No, that's not 'garbage collection'. That happens behind the scenes.

That was probably something to do with temp files, pagefile or similar.

Jacob 51

Notable
Dec 31, 2020

Probably temp files. Once I had temp files with over 10 GB on my old windows 7 core 2 duo system that never deleted on their own