set. Thanks for any help

From: "rheologuy" <rheologuy@discussions.microsoft.com>

| Just bought a pre-owned Dell Inspiron 6000D, running XP. On first power-up,
| after what appears to be a normal boot-up, it displays a message window
| headed "lsass.exe System error". The error description says, "When trying to
| update a password this return status indicates that the value provided as the
| current password is incorrect." It never asks for a password to be entered,
| so this is puzzling.
|
| Aftger displaying this message it reboots again, displays the same error
| message again, reboots again, displays the same error message again, reboots
| again, etc., in an infinite loop.
|
| I checked the password settings in Set-Up and note that no passwords are
| set. Thanks for any help

Answered in WinXP General.
Please learn to Cross-Post instead of Multi-Posting.

--
Dave
http://www.ik-cs.com/got-a-virus.htm

Would you like to tell me where I can learn how to do that?

"David H. Lipman" wrote:

> From: "rheologuy" <rheologuy@discussions.microsoft.com>
>
> | Just bought a pre-owned Dell Inspiron 6000D, running XP. On first power-up,
> | after what appears to be a normal boot-up, it displays a message window
> | headed "lsass.exe System error". The error description says, "When trying to
> | update a password this return status indicates that the value provided as the
> | current password is incorrect." It never asks for a password to be entered,
> | so this is puzzling.
> |
> | Aftger displaying this message it reboots again, displays the same error
> | message again, reboots again, displays the same error message again, reboots
> | again, etc., in an infinite loop.
> |
> | I checked the password settings in Set-Up and note that no passwords are
> | set. Thanks for any help
> |

> Answered in WinXP General.
> Please learn to Cross-Post instead of Multi-Posting.
>
> --
> Dave
> http://www.ik-cs.com/got-a-virus.htm

Malke

rheologuy wrote:

> Would you like to tell me where I can learn how to do that?
>
> "David H. Lipman" wrote:
>
>> From: "rheologuy" <rheologuy@discussions.microsoft.com>
>>
>> | Just bought a pre-owned Dell Inspiron 6000D, running XP. On first
>> | power-up, after what appears to be a normal boot-up, it displays a
>> | message window

(snip multiposted message)

>> Answered in WinXP General.
>> Please learn to Cross-Post instead of Multi-Posting.

Sure:
http://www.blakjak.demon.co.uk/mul_crss.htm - multiposting vs.
crossposting

Malke
--
Elephant Boy Computers
www.elephantboycomputers.com

Clean Install Windows XP

Carey Frisch
Microsoft MVP
Windows XP - Shell/User
Microsoft Newsgroups

"rheologuy" wrote:

| Just bought a pre-owned Dell Inspiron 6000D, running XP. On first power-up,
| after what appears to be a normal boot-up, it displays a message window
| headed "lsass.exe System error". The error description says, "When trying to
| update a password this return status indicates that the value provided as the
| current password is incorrect." It never asks for a password to be entered,
| so this is puzzling.
|
| Aftger displaying this message it reboots again, displays the same error
| message again, reboots again, displays the same error message again, reboots
| again, etc., in an infinite loop.
|
| I checked the password settings in Set-Up and note that no passwords are
| set. Thanks for any help

Thanks. How do I do that if it won't boot?

rheologuy wrote:
> Thanks. How do I do that if it won't boot?

After backing up any important data to an external storage device,
simply boot from the WinXP installation CD. You'll be offered the
installation process. (You may need to re-arrange the order of boot

HOW TO Install Windows XP

Bruce Chambers

Help us help you:
http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

both at once. - RAH

Thank you all for the help. The seller says he did not see the problem I'm
having. The last thing he did before shipping it was to run PC Restore. Now
all I have to do is get the XP installation discs from Dell, since they
apparently decided not to ship them with a enw PC anymore.
--
Rheologuy

"Bruce Chambers" wrote:

> rheologuy wrote:
> > Thanks. How do I do that if it won't boot?
> >

> After backing up any important data to an external storage device,
> simply boot from the WinXP installation CD. You'll be offered the
> opportunity to delete, create, and format partitions as part of the
> installation process. (You may need to re-arrange the order of boot
> devices in the PC's BIOS to boot from the CD.)
>
> HOW TO Install Windows XP
> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=KB;en-us;316941
>
> http://www.michaelstevenstech.com/cleanxpinstall.html
>
> http://www.webtree.ca/windowsxp/clean_install.htm
>

> --
>
> Bruce Chambers
>
> Help us help you:
> http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

> both at once. - RAH

You only have about 60 seconds to go to START>RUN>(type) shutdown -a
(then OK it) this will tell your system to abort the shutdowns, then you
have to load a current virus scan and firewall Get the "Stinger" to start
(it's free) : http://vil.nai.com/vil/stinger/

run this .... then get a copy of the SASSER Removal