[LSJ] Unsuccessful action / Neighborhood Watch Commander

Wes

Distinguished
Jan 21, 2002
101
0
18,680
Archived from groups: rec.games.trading-cards.jyhad (More info?)

LSJ or IANLSJ types,

This seems like a simple question, but I've gotten several different
interpretations.

----------------------

Neighborhood Watch Commander (Hunter):

"When an action taken by a vampire ends unsuccessfully, you may tap this
card at the end of that action to inflict 1 damage on the acting vampire."

From the rules 6.0:

"An action is successful only if it is not blocked."

From 6.2.3. Resolve the Action:

"If the action is successful (all block attempts were unsuccessful), then
the cost of the action is paid and the effects of the successful action take
place"

----------------------

If blocked, would NWC be usable before the resulting combat or is that
combat still considered to be part of the action? (since Mirror Image et al
could potentially continue it)

Is there a window of opportunity before Mirror Image is played in which one
could tap NWC to do damage?

Thanks in advance,
WES
 
G

Guest

Guest
Archived from groups: rec.games.trading-cards.jyhad (More info?)

Hi Wes,

IANLSJ (as you know) but I would say you would have to wait until after
the combat. The reason for this would be the precedent set by Bum's
Rush, where you can't replace until after the action (card text), but
you actually don't replace even if the action is unsuccessful (blocked)
until after full resolution of block as well.

As for the potential of things such a Mirror Image/Form of Mist/etc. I
would have to say that would also be a reason for not tapping before
the combat.

Of course, if the blocker Obedienced, took control in some way to
prevent combat, then you could play it.

Just my way of looking at it.

Cheers

Andy
VEKN Setite Ruler of Cambridge.
 
G

Guest

Guest
Archived from groups: rec.games.trading-cards.jyhad (More info?)

On Fri, 8 Apr 2005 04:04:12 -0400, "Wes" <ghost@NYETSPAMmnsi.net>
scrawled:

>LSJ or IANLSJ types,
>
>This seems like a simple question, but I've gotten several different
>interpretations.
>
>----------------------
>
>Neighborhood Watch Commander (Hunter):
>
>"When an action taken by a vampire ends unsuccessfully, you may tap this
>card at the end of that action to inflict 1 damage on the acting vampire."
[snip]
>----------------------
>
>If blocked, would NWC be usable before the resulting combat or is that
>combat still considered to be part of the action? (since Mirror Image et al
>could potentially continue it)
>
>Is there a window of opportunity before Mirror Image is played in which one
>could tap NWC to do damage?
>

combats are always part of an action, and therefore you're not at the
point where an action "ends", as required by NWC, just before nor
during the combat.

salem
http://www.users.tpg.com.au/adsltqna/VtES/index.htm
(replace "hotmail" with "yahoo" to email)
 
G

Guest

Guest
Archived from groups: rec.games.trading-cards.jyhad (More info?)

salem wrote:
> On Fri, 8 Apr 2005 04:04:12 -0400, "Wes" <ghost@NYETSPAMmnsi.net>
> scrawled:
>>Neighborhood Watch Commander (Hunter):
>>If blocked, would NWC be usable before the resulting combat or is that
>>combat still considered to be part of the action? (since Mirror Image et al
>>could potentially continue it)
>>
>>Is there a window of opportunity before Mirror Image is played in which one
>>could tap NWC to do damage?
>>
> combats are always part of an action, and therefore you're not at the
> point where an action "ends", as required by NWC, just before nor
> during the combat.

Correct.

--
LSJ (vtesrepSPAM@TRAPwhite-wolf.com) V:TES Net.Rep (remove spam trap to reply)
Links to V:TES news, rules, cards, utilities, and tournament calendar:
http://www.white-wolf.com/vtes/