LTR-24102B can't finish burn...

G

I have installed a Lite-On LTR-24102B in a stock Gateway(my cousin's), and am having problems finishing burns unless the amount of data is small. It has an ATA66 controller card for the HD so I connected it to the secondary IDE port on the motherboard and moved the DVD/CD drive to the primary port, setting them both as masters. I can compile a CD with audio clips downloaded off the internet (as long as its not a full CD of music), but can't copy full CD from one drive to another(on the fly) or even just using the burner to read and copy sucessfully . Can get about 6 of 19 songs before it locks up the machine. You have to shut the power off to reboot. Fails at different stages, sooner each time I try (31%, 16%, 11%, etc).Using Nero 5.5.3.0. Have DMA set to on, but wondered if because this system only has a 200w power supply, this could be the problem. Have installed drive in my computer and works fine w/ a 300w PS. His system is PIII 450mhz 96mb RAM 13.5gb HD, DVD Rom, CDR-RW(of course) w/ Windows98. Nothing added til this. Can't find any info on wattage requirements, or how to spec out a system. Any suggestions?

DaveGOD

Distinguished
Oct 14, 2001
seeing as no one else is replying youre stuck with my guesses ;)

200w is very low, i would not be surprised if that is the problem, although insufficient power usually is indicated by the machine restarting itself frequently. i'd suggest a 300w psu should be ok, tho im also wondering that maybe if his monitor is powered by the psu, to try it with a different cable so it connects to the wall socket instead, freeing up watts. if your monitor does this try swapping the cables, a new cable would be cheaper than a new psu (btw, i have no idea at all if this would work its just something i thought up right now, and thinking about it make sure the cables are same voltage, wattage and amp).

also 96mb might be a little low for copying a 640mb CD, though this should at worst slow it down (due to swapfile use), not cause it to hang like that unless theres a memory addressing problem or leak or those things that cause blue screen death. anyway a 128mb and even 256mb chips cost peanuts. well a big box of peanuts anyway.

[edit: oh yeah and if you connect a cdrom and cdrw on the same cable are they supposed to be both masters? im just asking as ive ordered a cdrw myself]

"Bring out the dead..."
"I'm not dead yet!"
"Yes you are!"<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by DaveGOD on 11/15/01 07:36 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

btvillarin

Distinguished
Apr 10, 2001
They shouldn't both be set as Master. (You said peanuts...LoL :lol: )

Anyways, 200W is indeed low. The monitor's power isn't coming from the power supply. It's coming from the outlet. So, I'm 90% sure it's the power supply.

But, yeah, if there are two CD devices on one IDE cable, make sure one's a Master, and one's a Slave.

Peanuts... :lol:

<A HREF="http://www.anandtech.com/mysystemrig.html?rigid=13406" target="_new">My System Rig</A>

DaveGOD

Distinguished
Oct 14, 2001
btvillarin? you again? hello m8! lol

i thought the two masters was odd.
ahh so when you connect the cable into the psu it actually just connects directly into the socket?

uh, peanuts?

"Bring out the dead..."
"I'm not dead yet!"
"Yes you are!"

G

What speed do you burn at...could simply be that your computer cant handle the speed of the burner...i have a 16x recorder and my computer is 800mhz athlon but i used to get errors when i try to record at 16x so i tried 12x and it never has screwd up

btvillarin

Distinguished
Apr 10, 2001
Yup! He was like, "256MB cost a bag of peanuts...a big bag of peanuts...." I thought it was hilarious!

<A HREF="http://www.anandtech.com/mysystemrig.html?rigid=13406" target="_new">My System Rig</A>

G

I am having the identical problem. However, I do not think it has to do with your PS. My system: T-bird 1.2, 30 gig HD, 512 mb ram (380 avail.) and a 350 watt PS. IDE's set as follows:
Primary Master - HD
Primary Slave - CDVD
Secondary Master - CD-RW
The PIO's are on Auto - mode 4
UDMA's Enabled
DMA in Win2K enabled
The first two burns worked great. Then, with each attempted subsequent burn, the pc froze up in shorter intervals. I have tried all kinds of read:burn rate ratios without any success. I have yet to figure out what is wrong. What really gets me are those first two working burns!!!!
ANY assistance or troublshooting ideas would be appreciated!

"We are such stuff/As dreams are made of."