Lubuntu can't boot Missing hal.dll System 32 file

AwesomeO

Honorable
Jun 13, 2012
Ok first I need to provide a little back story to my problem.
Sorry for wall of text.

I have a very old HP laptop from like 2001.
The laptop is very slow and the disc cd/dvd drive optical lens no longer works so I can't use CDs anymore.
Its a 330mhz 256 ram laptop with a 20GB HDD and I can't get it to connect to the internet because many settings are deleted (long story)
Currently I use a virtual disc drive software to mount CDs (sadly it gets unmounted when I restart so I can never boot from disc)
The PC has very old setting in the bios bootup menu and only allows me to bootup or repair from Harddisk, Floppy or CD.
I can't from a USB connected device.
It has Windows XP Home Edition SP3 installed.

A few days ago I decided to bring out this old hp laptop and install a light linux based distro like Lubuntu.
So I used Unetbootin to mount the iso of Lubuntu on a usb pendrive and restarted my laptop.
When I went to the partition option and chose Lubuntu it said something like "Missing or corrupt System 32 \ hal.dll file etc..."
I can easily reboot and load windows xp home but I can't get it to start lubuntu from my pendrive.
Funny thing is hal.dll is not missing and or hasn't been modified since 2008 it says and its still located in System 32...

To make matters worse the only info I have found on the internet has been either use the windows xp repair/recovery cd to fix and reinstall hal.dll.
Too bad I no longer have the xp installation cd and even if I did my disc drive doesn't work.
I heard I could mount it on my USB pendrive and boot it that way but sadly as I mentioned before my old pc only has options to boot from harddisk, floppy or cd there is no usb option.

Any advice on what I should do?

AwesomeO

Honorable
Jun 13, 2012
oops sorry.
I just thought they since windows xp and linux are two different categories but both apply to my problem, that it would be ok to post the same thing and it might give me different answers from certain users that only visit one board.