LucidLogix Releases Virtu MVP 2.0 Graphics Switching Suite

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

I can see this gaining steam on gaming laptops, you could switch to HD 4000 to save a lot of power when doing non-intensive stuff like browsing and watching videos.

bak0n

Distinguished
Dec 4, 2009
I get so much artifacting, and alt tab crashing with MVP running that I totally disabled it. If they can fix those issues, I'd definitely re-enable it and possibly spend the $35 for the basic edition. Until I know they fix those issues however, I wouldn't spend a dime.

[citation][nom]athulajp[/nom]I can see this gaining steam on gaming laptops, you could switch to HD 4000 to save a lot of power when doing non-intensive stuff like browsing and watching videos.[/citation]
You do realize that both amd and nvidia have switchable graphics to igpu for free on laptops? This is for desktops where this isn't an option but still not much help since having both gpus on is more power and modern cards are pretty low power in 2d mode. Not to mention VV and HF are gimmicks. The only reasonable solution is being able to use quicksync when you only have 1 monitor.

This isn't just supposed to be about power savings, it's supposed to improve responsiveness ("hyperformance") and allow vsync at any frame rate (virtual vsync). It's just that actual support for it is... lacking. Maybe this could give them the revenue to improve the support, but I suspect they'll remain stuck in the chicken/egg hole. They need more resources to improve support, but they need more support to gain the revenue to afford those resources.

[citation][nom]k1114[/nom]You do realize that both amd and nvidia have switchable graphics to igpu for free on laptops? This is for desktops where this isn't an option but still not much help since having both gpus on is more power and modern cards are pretty low power in 2d mode. Not to mention VV and HF are gimmicks. The only reasonable solution is being able to use quicksync when you only have 1 monitor.[/citation]
WELL SAID.

G

I want to see a benchmark of this and see whether it works or not. I don t think this even works with the latest amd drivers

I had issues with Virtu as well. Every so often it would not switch to use my discrete card when playing games. All it took was closing the game and launching it again but the hassle was not worth it. Virtu is gone now and I just run off my GTX 670. I was using it primarily for the power savings which isn't that big of a deal for me on my desktop. So ill pass on this.

G

this is a free feature on my asrock motherboard. my intel hd4000 does the vsync and my 7870 does the heavy lifting so they work at the same time. besides having to disable it for mass effect 1 due to graphical issues, it works great and never hade any other issues! btw, i have been on v2.1.221.25023 for like a month now, so i don't see how this is news.

N.Broekhuijsen

Distinguished
Jun 17, 2009
[citation][nom]mike42hunt[/nom]this is a free feature on my asrock motherboard. my intel hd4000 does the vsync and my 7870 does the heavy lifting so they work at the same time. besides having to disable it for mass effect 1 due to graphical issues, it works great and never hade any other issues! btw, i have been on v2.1.221.25023 for like a month now, so i don't see how this is news.[/citation]
It's news because you can now buy it for supporting hardware. Previously you could only get it through your motherboard manufacturer.

ojas

Distinguished
Feb 25, 2011
To those complaining about issues: Doesn't d-GPU mode work? I thought it uses the discrete GPU by default and only switches to Intel HD graphics for stuff like QuickSync.

knowom

Distinguished
Jan 28, 2006
Lucid = Fail

Sorry, but it's true until proven otherwise by valid real world benchmarks Virtu didn't live up to the hype and features it was touting plain and simple good bye Lucid we never knew you.

fast4ward

Honorable
Feb 26, 2013
guys, please take a look at Lucidlogix website, the many technologies incorporated with Virtu MVP 2.0 looks interesting.
I personally tried MVP 2.0 and I must say I enjoyed the experience. I even did the i-mode switchable graphics thing and run some videos conversions. (10 time faster with Quick sync , amazing Intel did something good this time ;-) ).

Did you try this Virtual Vsync, I run with VSync ON and in most of my games I could run above 60 FPS !.
I am still playing around with HyperFormance and will update.

I think the folks at Lucid finally made an attempt to improve the GUI in MVP 2.0 , not there yet, but better.

It's not cheating, it's working as intended. The IGP figures out when it doesn't make sense to render a frame, and interrupts the rendering. Unfortunately, software will count that interrupted frame, leading to artificially inflated FPS numbers.

Maybe their marketing sometimes doesn't explain how those better FPS numbers are meaningless, but that's misleading marketing rather than actually cheating at the core of the process.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS